Medical council to investigate implicated doctors

first_imgDeaths of 3 children at GPHCThe Guyana Medical Council will be investigating the doctors who were involved in the treatment and subsequent death of three children at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation.In a brief interview with Guyana Times, Chairman of the medical council, Dr Navin Rambarran said that the organisation has already requested the report and will analyse same before launching its own investigation.“We have not received the report but we have asked for the report from GPHC and we are expecting that soon…there has to be certain investigation I would believe because on our part we still have to look into the matter,” he explained.His comments come at a time when parents and other activists have called for the revocation of the medical licences of the doctors who administered the pre-chemotherapy drug without following protocol, which eventually led to the deaths of seven-year-old Curwayne Edwards on January 14; three-year-old Roshini Seegobin on January 18, followed by six-year-old Sharezer Mendonca who died on January 24.Last week, senior officials from the GPHC revealed that the finding of the probe into the matter concluded that the medical staff had administered the drugs incorrectly whereby instead of intrathecal administration of the drug vincristine, they administered it intravenously. It was this that led to the adverse reactions of the three children and ultimately their deaths.Deputy Chief Medical Officer (CMO) Dr Karen Gordon-Campbell, who presented the report during a press conference had said that the three medical personnel involved in the matters were aware that they had broken protocol but not at the initial stage of administering the medicinal drugs to those patients.“The reasons that were given encompassed the fact that they were stretched and maybe not fully attentive at the time. That pretty much is the long and short of the reasons given but I don’t think that initially, they realised. But eventually, when they recognised that the patients were deteriorating when they checked they realised their mistake,” she said.Meanwhile, Chairperson of the Board of Directors at the GPHC, Kesaundra Alves told the media that an internal investigation by the hospital’s administration into the circumstances surrounding the treatment of three leukaemia patients and their subsequent adverse reactions has revealed that human deficiencies and systemic challenges contributed to the demise of those three children.She stated that an independent investigation by the Public Health Ministry was also launched and findings were similar to those of the GPHC’s; non-adherence to the hospital’s protocols led to the three young children succumbing at the GPHC.The still grieving family members of Sharezer Mendonca have revealed that they are taking legal action against the medical institution for wrongful death.last_img read more

Truck torched after child killed in accident

first_img…thousands stranded in traffic build-upPandemonium broke out at Agricola on the East Bank of Demerara (EBD) on Saturday evening after a seven-year-old child was crushed to death by a truck, which was later set alight by residents, creating mass confusion and hours of traffic buildup.The truck involved in the accidentCommuters waited for hours in trafficDead: Ciara BenjaminDead is Ciara Benjamin of Kitty, Georgetown.Based on reports received, the child was attempting to cross the road with her aunt, Samantha Barry, at about 16:45h in the vicinity of the Independence Arch at Agricola.During that time, a truck bearing registration number GWW 962 was heading to Georgetown when he allegedly swerved to avoid hitting a vehicle and ended up in the path of the pedestrians.Upon impact, the woman was flung some distance away while the truck remained fixed on the median with the child pinned underneath. A light pole was unearthed as a result of the impact and subsequently collapsed on the roadway.When Guyana Times arrived at the scene, hundreds of people flocked the roadway and streets to witness the aftermath of the tragic incident.With the truck lodged in the middle of the roadway, police officers made efforts to clear the streets to allow for the body to be removed. About one hour later, a forklift and crane were used to lift the vehicle and remove the child’s remains. Her body was completely severed in two.Benjamin’s aunt, who was with her at the time of the accident was inconsolable. She recalled that she had just picked up the child and held her hand as they were crossing the road to go home. However, she claimed that the truck “came from nowhere” and slammed into the child.The distraught woman said upon contact with the truck, she was flung several feet away and did not regain consciousness for some time.“I hold her hand and was crossing the road to come home and I don’t know what happen after because I blackout. I was with my sister and after I said that I going home,” Barry related.Meanwhile, an eyewitness revealed that the truck driver appeared oblivious of the fact that two persons were about to cross the road.“He didn’t see like the girl was left behind. He swerved and ended up hitting the child after he realise that they were going to cross [the road].”This publication understands that the driver of the truck attempted to flee the scene but was caught shortly after and severely beaten by residents. The man was later handed over to the police.FireAfter the scene was cleared, there was a sigh of relief but another unexpected tragedy arose when the lorry was set alight at about 18:10h, creating a towering inferno in the middle of the roadway.Laden with fuel, it burned for hours, blockading the flow of traffic. At one instance, there was a string of vehicles from Diamond on the EBD, to Mandela Avenue.Pedestrians stood in disbelief as small explosions erupted from the fire. At 18:43, the Guyana Fire Service was yet to arrive at the scene as fuel leaked onto the roadway, burning uncontrollably and threatening nearby buildings.Nevertheless, commuters took the risk of crossing the burning truck, in what was described as one of the “most dangerous” situations.Police presence was observed at strategic points to maintain order on two of the four lanes which were operational. One driver related that he was waiting for three hours to access the Demerara Harbour Bridge.At 19:28h, firefighters arrived at the scene to douse the burning truck, which was completely burnt.An investigation has been launched into the incident.last_img read more

Peace Region Dragon Boat Society to begin season with open practice

first_imgThe local paddling club is currently in search of new recruits for the team and anyone interested in seeing what the sport has to offer is invited to join.The only stipulation is that participants, male or female, have to be 18 years of age or older.It’ll be back to the basics for Monday’s season opening practice, as participants will receive lessons in paddling technique, while also focusing on stamina and endurance.- Advertisement -Currently the dragon boat racing team is looking to participate in a race in Edmonton, but require more team members to make that a possibility. Regardless of making it to a competition or not, the season of paddling will continue throughout the summer season, concluding in September.Monday’s practice will begin at 6:45 p.m. and will be held in Charlie Lake.If interested in trying dragon boat racing and want to attend Monday’s practice, or have any questions regarding the sport, contact Karla at 250-787-0728 or email raysroad@shaw.ca for more information.Advertisementlast_img read more

Tang finishes first in Blizzard’s sixth Spring Race Series stage

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Irvin Tang rode like the wind yesterday evening to take the win in the Blizzard Bicycle Club’s sixth stage of the Spring Race Series.Competing in the 16 kilometre Baldonnel Time Trial, Tang surged ahead of the competition to finish first with a time of 26:28. Josh Telizyn continued to build on his lead in the U19 division standings, coming in 2nd with a time of 27:55. Richard Wood placed 3rd in the race, crossing the line ten seconds after Telizyn to round out the Top 3. Nick Guliov, Darren Guliov, and Nyam Newlove made up the final three riders.The seventh stage of the Spring Race Series, the Rocky Road Race, will take place this Sunday on the Taylor Pulp Mill Road at 2:00 p.m.- Advertisement –last_img read more

We BELIEVE! Per Mertesacker confident Arsenal can secure UCL last 16 spot

first_img Per Mertesacker celebrates an Arsenal win 1 Per Mertesacker says Arsenal will go to Olympiacos with the belief they can pull off a victory that sees them qualify for the last 16 of the Champions League.The Gunners cruised to an emphatic win over Dinamo Zagreb on Tuesday to keep their hopes of progressing alive and now have to beat Olympiacos by two goals or match their 3-2 reverse by the Greeks in September.Mertesacker praised Arsenal’s attacking display against the Croatian side and believes they should have won by a bigger margin.“We’re delighted with the win,” he said.“We needed that, it was a must-win for our side. We’re delighted with how we played from the start. We got two early goals and we could have been three or four up by half-time.“We still believe and we believed before the game we could do special things. We already dropped a lot of points which was very disappointing but there’s still a chance so we believe.”last_img read more

Man City’s world class XI with new no.1, £50m defender and confirmed arrivals

first_imgPep Guardiola has officially arrived at Manchester City.The Spaniard touched down in England on Sunday, unveiled in front of a delighted home crowd.And now that introductions have been made, it’s down to business.The 45-year-old has already agreed deals for Gundogan and Nolito, with more arrivals anticipated over the summer transfer window.So, taking this into consideration, how might Guardiola’s side line up next season, featuring the aforementioned pair and other possible targets?Check out a possible Manchester City XI for next season by viewing the slideshow above. 2. Bacary Sagna (right back) – Sagna may not have been Manuel Pellegrini’s first pick last season had it not have been for injury to Pablo Zabaleta. Despite this the Frenchman stepped up excellently and could remain first choice under his new manager. 11. Sergio Aguero (striker) – There’s no doubt over who will be leading Guardiola’s attack. Aguero is up there with the very best strikers in Europe, and Guardiola will surely set the Argentina international a higher goals tally target for the new season. 11 11 11 3. Vincent Kompany (centre back) – It was a difficult season for the club’s captain, who spent much of his time on the sidelines nursing various injuries. He could miss the start of next term, but with question marks over the ability of Nicolas Otamendi and Eliaquim Mangala, Guardiola will hope he doesn’t spend too much longer in the recovery room. 11 9. David Silva (attacking midfield) – Injury hampered Silva’s last campaign, and given his importance to the side, Guardiola will need the midfielder at his fittest. There are few better players in the no.10 position. 7. Ilkay Gundogan (centre midfield) – With question marks over Yaya Toure and Fernando, a central midfielder seemed a priority signing for Guardiola. The German, who was forced to miss the Euro 2016 finals through injury, provided an update on his fitness at his unveiling over the weekend, stating he expects to be fit between August and September. 1. Geronimo Rulli (goalkeeper) – check out the full Manchester City line up by clicking the arrow above, right – After a season of mixed performances for club and country, Joe Hart’s position as no.1 may be at risk under Guardiola. Rumour has it the club are eyeing Real Sociedad’s Rulli, 24. 11 6. Fernandinho (centre midfield) – Fernandinho established himself as a key player under Pellegrini last season, and with the poor performances of Yaya Toure and Fernando, his work rate stood out even further. He’s almost certain to start under Guardiola. 11 8. Kevin De Bruyne (right attack) – De Bruyne lived up to expectations in his first season at the Etihad, and it’s anticipated he’ll only improve under Guardiola. He’s set for a starring role under the Spaniard. 11 11 4. John Stones (centre back) – Despite a difficult campaign at Everton, Guardiola is reportedly keen on luring the England international to the Etihad. It is understood, however, that City will have to pay around £50m to seal his signature. Is he worth such a fee? 11 11 5. Aleksandar Kolarov (left back) – Kolarov looks set to continue his role at left back next season after another consistent campaign. With his 31st birthday to come later this year though, Guardiola may be looking at alternative, long-term options. 11 10. Nolito (left attack) – Nolito became the second signing of the Guardiola era, and is expected to take the place of Jesus Navas out wide. The Spaniard was at his most dangerous from the left flank, scoring 12 goals and registering seven assists. last_img read more

WATCH: All the goals as West Ham easily win at Olympic Stadium opening

first_img Sofiane Feghouli netted the last goal of the game West Ham enjoyed the perfect start to life at the Olympic Stadium on Thursday evening, overcoming NK Domzale 3-0 in the Europa League third qualifying round.Having lost the away leg, Slaven Bilic’s men needed to win, and to do so infront of a huge crowd was the perfect way to signal the move to a new home.Cheikhou Kouyate netted twice in the first half to open the scoring and then double the lead, before Sofiane Feghouli rounded off the victory in the second period.You can watch all the goals from the celebratory Olympic Stadium opening below… 1last_img read more

49ers notes: How badly hurt are tackles Staley, McGlinchey?

first_imgCARSON — Left tackle Joe Staley walked out of the 49ers locker room with a brace on his injured right knee and a glum look on his face, casting concern over the 12th-year veteran’s status.Staley declined comment and 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said he did not yet know the severity of Staley’s injury following Sunday’s 29-27 loss to the Chargers.Right tackle Mike McGlinchey also sustained a first-half knee injury, and when the 49ers opened the second half, they had backup tackles protecting …last_img read more

Weir, Loggers steamroll Warriors on Senior Night

first_imgRobert Weir had two touchdowns, Cruz Montana had four and the Eureka Loggers laid waste to visiting Big 4 Conference rival Del Norte, beating the Warriors 44-6 Friday night at Albee Stadium.Friday’s win improves Eureka to 2-0 in the Big 4 and 9-0 overall and guarantees the Loggers at least a portion of the Big 4 crown. Eureka can finish the regular season undefeated and claim an outright Big 4 championship with a win on the road against Fortuna next Friday, Oct. 26, in what will be the regular …last_img read more

Prep girls basketball: Eureka High opens 2019 run with impressive win

first_imgSophia Chalmers hit 4 3-pointers and scored 23 points and the Eureka High girls basketball team opened its 2019 run with an impressive 75-45 win over Hercules, Friday night at Pinole Valley High.Carly Boynton added 12 points for the Loggers in the win while Malia Guilbert poured in 10 off the bench and Kellina Pratton, 7 points and 6 assists. McKenna Beach scored 6 points for Eureka and had a productive night defensively with 5 steals.Eureka (1-0) head coach Mike Harvey said what impressed …last_img read more