GTT promotion kicks start Mashramani activities

first_imgGTT on Wednesday commenced the drawing of its “Valentine Mashment Promotion” at the Blackberry Office, Brickdam, in which 70 customers were winners of many colourful costumes.Representatives of GTT conducting the drawingThis Promotion is also in light of the company’s 23rd anniversary celebrations. The 70 persons who purchased unlimited data plans were the recipients of these costumes and would be featured in the company’s costume float parade contingent, which is themed “Amazon Gems”. They are expecting to see a huge turnout of approximately 400 persons.GTT Public Relations Officer (PRO) Nadia De Abreu, when asked about the celebrations, stated that it has been a while since the company has participated in the Mashramani parade, so this would be a big comeback. This is also the company’s gesture of giving back to valued customers and providing them with an unforgettable experience.There are many ongoing and scheduled activities slated for this period in which persons can get a chance to win costumes and participate in the GTT Mash band. There is an ongoing fitness campaign on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at the Everest Cricket Club Ground that will conclude on February 21, with the fitness finale.“Activation giveaways” were also conducted, in which 20 persons who applied for service during the anniversary period also won costume prizes. The number of combined winners from these promotions will add up to over 90 winners. There will also be a limited number of costumes available at Pulse Entertainment, who has partnered with GTT and online, for those who would like to be part of the company’s float.last_img read more

School space battle flares

first_imgLos Angeles Unified officials have tentatively offered long-sought classroom space to dozens of charter schools, but strings attached to the deals have prompted leaders of the independent public schools to threaten legal action. L.A. Unified School District officials responded this week to 35 requests from charter schools for space on district campuses, putting two on a waiting list. But more than 20 of the sites tentatively offered to charter schools are on campuses that could get state funds to reduce class size. If they get the money – officials are waiting to hear next month – the campuses would need to keep the classroom space for their own students, and the offers to charters would be rescinded. The situation has left charter schools scrambling for places to house their students next year and wondering if they will even be able to exist, said Caprice Young, head of the California Charter Schools Association. “For them to litigate … is a complete waste of time because we can’t create facilities out of no facilities,” he said. “What they’re asking us to do is give preferential treatment to charter school students. That would be unfair to district students.” The issue has escalated a battle between charter officials, who say their schools are being marginalized, and district officials. Just last week, the district board unexpectedly rejected five petitions submitted by Steve Barr, the founder of the successful Green Dot Public Schools, to create schools in the underserved community of Watts. “Like the vote last week, it’s the arrogance of power. They’re breaking the law,” Barr said, adding that school districts can only reject charters if their plans are deemed to be financially or academically unsound. Barr regards the five responses he got as denials, leaving him in the lurch when he has to conduct a lottery in two weeks for 700 students around Jefferson High School. He is considering legal action. Meanwhile, a 17-acre district lot sits vacant nearby until LAUSD puts up bungalows to house administrators, Barr said. “I think it’s criminal. I’m struggling to convert dingy churches, and I’m educating kids without fields and proper facilities,” Barr said. “There are 17 open acres nearby, and they’re saying they don’t have room.” Reed said the district moved administrators to the property near Jefferson to give another charter school a campus. If the district gave that lot to a charter school, it would be forced to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to lease space for administrators – taking money away from classrooms and students, Reed said. “Our first priority are students. Period. To serve those students, we need to make sure the maximum amounts of dollars are going to classrooms and not to leases,” Reed said. A shortage of facilities is currently the biggest impediment to the growth of the popular charter movement, Young said. As charters operate schools in churches and warehouses, they are spending about 15 percent of their budget on facilities – money that could be going to student services, she said. The charter association said that so far, LAUSD’s location offers to charters have typically been either too far from the community the charter serves or not large enough. In the latest round of offers, Los Angeles International Charter High School in the northeast San Fernando Valley was offered classrooms on a campus in Westchester, near Los Angeles International Airport. Reed said the district evaluates available space by scrutinizing enrollment and capacity data for each campus. There currently are a dozen charter schools operating on district-owned sites. Barr, however, said he has begun reaching out to parents to petition the district. He also said he’s optimistic a new school board will collaborate with the charter movement. “Nothing’s going to change if we don’t organize as parents and taxpayers to stand up to this,” Barr said. “The board’s going to change in July, and maybe then we can have a reasonable conversation about how to serve kids instead of adults sniping.” naush.boghossian@dailynews.com (818) 713-3722160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “It’s not the best they can do because we know of space on their campuses that they didn’t offer and they should and could have offered,” Young said. “They really have to comply with the law, and it may come down to a judge determining what compliance is about.” Young said district officials are not complying with Proposition 39, which requires school districts to treat all public school students – including those in charters – fairly. Also, Young said district officials offered the same space at Van Nuys High to two charters in a clear example of double- booking. And she said the law makes it clear that offers must be final, not conditional, with clear descriptions of how many classrooms are available. “It doesn’t count as an offer if they’re saying we might have the space for you, but we won’t know for a while,” she said. LAUSD general counsel Kevin Reed said the offers comply with the law because they are the best the district has at a time when facilities are limited. last_img read more

Avengers Endgame is returning to cinemas with new postcredits scenes

first_imgWhen Avengers: Endgame reached its eventual conclusion back in April, many fans weren’t buying the rumours there’d be none of the traditional post-credits scenes they’d become accustomed to throughout the various MCU instalments.Regardless of the word on social media, they were staying until the very end, or until the ushers called the police. Anyway, for all those disappointed by the absence of a teaser for a future movie (even though there was a Spider-Man trailer in its stead), Marvel is making it up to you.Avengers: Endgame is returning to cinemas in the United States on June 28 (UK relaunch as yet unconfirmed) featuring previously unseen material at the end of the movie. Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige told Screen Rant there’d be some juicy new Easter eggs for aficionados to enjoy.He said it’s not “an extended cut, but there will be a version going into theaters with a bit of a marketing push with a few new things at the end of the movie.”He added: “If you stay and watch the movie, after the credits, there’ll be a deleted scene, a little tribute, and a few surprises. Which will be next weekend.”Related: Marvel’s Spider-Man reviewSo why is there a re-release coming just two months after the final instalment in the series debuted to an astonishing $1.2 billion in global box office from the first weekend alone? Well it maybe because Marvel has the record books in its sights.Despite Endgame’s $2.743 billion earned worldwide, it’s still a few million behind Avatar’s world record of $2.788 billion, which still baffles most of us to this day. Anyway, the promise of some new material should be more than enough for some obsessives to head back to the theatre one more time, prior to the digital release.So what could the deleted scene and new material show? The timing coincides quite nicely with the new Spider-Man: Far From Home movie, which ties in directly to the end of Endgame. It’s possible the unseen content could wet the whistle of Marvel fans before Peter Parker returns to the big screen charged with continuing Iron Man’s legacy. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply. Show More Unlike other sites, we thoroughly review everything we recommend, using industry standard tests to evaluate products. We’ll always tell you what we find. We may get a commission if you buy via our price links.Tell us what you think – email the Editor We’d also like to send you special offers and news just by email from other carefully selected companies we think you might like. Your personal details will not be shared with those companies – we send the emails and you can unsubscribe at any time. Please tick here if you are happy to receive these messages.By submitting your information, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy & Cookies Policy. Sign up for the Mobile NewsletterSign Up Please keep me up to date with special offers and news from Goodtoknow and other brands operated by TI Media Limited via email. You can unsubscribe at any time.last_img read more