Daytime burglar puts Letterkenny business owners on edge

first_imgGardai are investigating ANOTHER burglary of a business premises in Letterkenny in broad daylight.A substantial sum of cash was taken when a thief removed a cash box from behind the counter of a shop at Upper Port Road at lunchtime (just before 2pm) on Wednesday last.A staff member heard a noise and suddenly realised that the cash box had been taken with a substantial sum of money inside. It follows a similar incident at a hairdressing salon also in Letterkenny less than a month ago.Again a similar theft took place in broad daylight when a person walked in off the street and gained access to an employees locker and stole a large sum of cash.Gardai in Letterkenny are investigating both incidents but have not said if they think they are connected.If anyone observed anyone whom they feel may have been connected to these incidents then please contact Gardaí at Letterkenny on 074-9167100. Daytime burglar puts Letterkenny business owners on edge was last modified: August 1st, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:burglariesdaytimedonegalletterkennyTHEFTSlast_img read more

SA state steelmaker one step nearer

first_img27 November 2012 South Africa moved one step closer to the creation of a state-owned steel manufacturer on Monday with the Industrial Development Corporation’s (IDC’s) R3.4-billion acquisition of Anglo American’s majority stake in the Scaw Metals Group. Resources giant Anglo American said in a statement on Monday that it had finalised the sale of its 74% interest in Scaw Metals to an IDC-led consortium that included empowerment partners Izingwe Holdings, Shanduka Resources and the Southern Palace Group of Companies. The IDC’s divisional executive of mining and manufacturing, Abel Malinga, said in a statement that the acquisition “puts the IDC in a unique position to make the necessary investments to grow Scaw’s operations, supporting beneficiation, infrastructure development and South Africa’s economic growth”. The government has for some time criticised market leader ArcelorMittal SA for selling steel locally at export prices. “High steel input costs inhibit the development of a robust and sustainable downstream steel fabrication industry to the detriment of job creation,” Malinga said. “It is critical to maintain and deepen the industrialisation of the economy by refocusing the beneficiation strategy to support fabrication and manufacturing.” Malinga said the IDC aimed to leverage existing strengths within the business, to grow it into a global player, taking advantage of opportunities that would be opened up by South Africa’s massive state-led infrastructure drive, announced earlier this year by President Jacob Zuma. “As a leading diversified South African fabricator, Scaw has the potential to be a key supplier to planned infrastructure and construction programmes.” SAinfo reporterlast_img read more

EC’s credibility hit: Congress, NC

first_imgThe National Conference and the Congress on Tuesday alleged that the Election Commission had decided to cancel the Anantnag Lok Sabha byelection to saving the BJP-PDP coalition government in the State from embarrassment.J&K Pradesh Congress Committee president G.A. Mir, the joint candidate of the two parties for the seat, said the failure of the Union and the State governments to conduct the elections showed “how grim and out of control the situation in Kashmir is”.The Congress candidate alleged that the Centre could not provide the security required and adopted dilly-dallying tactics “to save the already dented image of the PDP-BJP government in the State”.Slams alliance“Scrapping of the byelections is a blot on the face of both the State and the Central governments. The PDP-BJP alliance has no moral right to remain in power,” he said. National Conference general secretary Ali Muhammad Sagar said the cancellation had “put a question mark on EC’s credibility”.At PDP’s bidding“The EC has taken this decision on the recommendation of the coalition government in the State. Earlier, everybody urged the EC to postpone the bypolls keeping in view of the unfavourable atmosphere but they went ahead and later the PDP’s candidate urged the Commission to postpone the election, which was agreed to by the EC,” Mr. Sagar alleged.Meanwhile, former Chief Minister and NC working president Omar Abdullah, blamed Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti for the EC’s decision.“This is your legacy Ms. Mufti. Your ‘5% of the people’ have brought J&K back to the early 1990s; yet shamelessly you cling on to power! It’s depressing to see how far we have regressed in Kashmir from the highs of the Assembly polls of 2014 to the cancelled election of 2017,” Mr. Abdullah said.The leader said that in many ways, this was similar to the symbolic victory against India scored by the release of militants for Ms. Mufti’s sister in 1990. “The only things keeping Ms. Mufti in office are her shamelessness and a misplaced sense of pride in Delhi preventing admission of mistake,” Mr. Abdullah said.The EC on Tuesday cancelled the byelections, citing “unfavourable conditions”.Earlier, PDP candidate Tassaduq Mufti had also suggested to the ECI to cancel the upcoming polls. The byelection to the Srinagar Lok Sabha seat witnessed violence on April 9, leaving nine civilians dead.Later, the EC postponed the bypolls for Anantnag seat, scheduled for April 12, to May 25. National Conference president Farooq Abdullah won the Srinagar byelection, defeating PDP candidate Nazir Khan by 10,766 votes in an election marked by a low turnout.The constituency, comprising 15 Assembly segments across Srinagar, Budgam and Ganderbal districts, saw just 80,000 of the 12.5 lakh voters exercising their franchise.last_img read more

Stuart MacGill says spinners will be key to India’s success

first_imgWhile most of the cricketing action is happening in Sri Lanka at the World T20, former Australia spinner Stuart MacGill’s surprise presence at a hockey event here on Tuesday turned a few heads.MacGill was here with his long-time friend and Australian hockey captain Jamie Dwyer as the leg-spinner foresees a possible career in managing the Aussie players during the Hockey India League (HIL).MacGill, whose big turning leg-breaks foxed many batsmen during his playing days, is keeping a tab on the action in Sri Lanka and said that if India wins the title for the second time, their spinners, particularly Harbhajan Singh, will have to come good.However, the West Indies, loaded with power-hitters and all-rounders, remain his pick for the World T20 title.”India have a dynamic batting. If India have to win the title, it has to be on the back of their spinners. Harbhajan will be the key because people who can turn the ball are very essential in T20 cricket,” said MacGill, who was part of the Sydney Sixers team which won the T20 Big Bash League last year.MacGill, 41, ruled out any chance of Australia winning their maiden World T20 title as he did not think they have a good enough team to make it to the final. “West Indies have some very dangerous players and they can shake a few people.”Australia, I don’t think, have a good enough team for this format. If they make it to the last four, they should feel they have done enough. They are not as good as other countries,” said MacGill, who played in an era when there was tough competition for a spinner’s place in the Australian team with Shane Warne in the ranks too.advertisementHaving finished his international cricket career, MacGill now wants to associate himself with a sport that he says he has grown up watching. Dwyer, one of the most decorated players in modern hockey, has given him an opportunity to look at avenues other than cricket. “Currently, I am here with my friend Jamie and I am somewhat managing him. My father and most of the members of my family have played hockey at some level or the other,” said MacGill.”I want to help other Australian players during the Hockey India League (HIL).”India’s poor show at the London Olympics came as a huge disappointment for its fans but MacGill believes that India has a lot to give to the world of hockey and HIL will be an opportunity. “At least India’s performance was better than the Beijing Games. Indian hockey isn’t just about India but international hockey as well. Sharing the dressing room with players like Jamie and other top stars will only benefit the Indian players,” said MacGill.last_img read more

SUSPECT CHARGED IN ASSAULT OF OFFICER DURING ARREST

first_imgA SIOUX CITY MAN IS IN CUSTODY FACING NUMEROUS CHARGES AFTER BEING ARRESTED TUESDAY NIGHT ON FLOYD BOULEVARD.19 YEAR OLD LEVI BERGENSKE IS CHARGED WITH AGGRAVATED THEFT, POSSESSION OF MARIJUANA, CARRYING A CONCEALED WEAPON, ELUDING, ASSAULTING A POLICE OFFICER AND OTHER COUNTS.POLICE SAY AN OFFICER RECOGNIZED BERGENSKE, WHO WAS WANTED ON AN OUTSTANDING WARRANT.A STRUGGLE ENSUED WHEN THE OFFICER TRIED TO ARREST THE SUSPECT, RESULTING IN A MINOR INJURY TO THE OFFICER.BERGENSKE IS BEING HELD IN THE WOODBURY COUNTY JAIL ON $19,600 BOND.last_img read more

10 months ago​Blackpool target Newcastle whizkid Sorensen

first_img​Blackpool target Newcastle whizkid Sorensenby Ansser Sadiq10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveBlackpool are chasing after Newcastle United youngster Elias Sorensen.The Danish under-21 international could go out on loan for the rest of the season.The 19-year-old has penned a new contract with the Magpies, but his first team opportunities are limited for this term.Chronicle Live suggests that a loan to Blackpool would help them boost their chances of making the playoffs.When asked about a loan for Sorensen, Newcastle coach Ben Dawson is quoted by Chronicle Live as saying: “It has to be the right place to go on loan – you saw tonight some of the strengths he has and some of the areas where he has to develop.”He needs to play every week and the best place for him to go on loan is somewhere where there’s an experienced striker for him to learn from.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

10 months agoLiverpool legend Nicol: FSG to blame for FA Cup exit

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Liverpool legend Nicol: FSG to blame for FA Cup exitby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool legend Steve Nicol has slammed the club’s owners over their FA Cup exit at Wolves on Monday night.With Liverpool suffering Champions League, Europa League, League Cup and FA Cup Final defeats since FSG bought the club in 2010, it leaves the 2012 League Cup as both the Reds’ last trophy and only silverware of the American group’s Anfield stewardship.Nicol told ESPN FC: “For the big teams, particularly in England, it’s about the Premier League and Champions League.“Let’s not forget, that Kenny Dalglish got the sack after winning silverware at Liverpool, and losing the FA Cup final. So, work that one out.“So the owners want the Premier League and the Champions League clearly.“If Jurgen Klopp doesn’t want to sacrifice anybody in order to win the Premier League or the Champions League then he’s going to do what he did the other night and play what, three first team [players]?”Nicol accused his former side of disregarding the competition as they suffered their fourth-successive third or fourth round exit under Klopp.“Well, yes, because of the era I played in – yes I do (have a problem with domestic cups not being taken seriously).“All the other trophies meant something, the Carabao Cup used to mean a lot.“The FA Cup was absolutely huge, it for me was basically the player’s tournament.“But times have changed, and now it’s about Premier League and Champions League.” last_img read more

9 months agoDenis Suarez only wants Arsenal – but the Gunners…

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Denis Suarez only wants Arsenal – but the Gunners…by Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveArsenal are still mulling over whether to pull the trigger on a deal for Barcelona midfielder Denis Suarez.The 25-year-old is believed to be keen on a switch to the Emirates and a loan deal would likely include the option to make it permanent this summer.However, Spanish pundit Guillem Balague says nothing has yet been decided at Arsenal’s end.”To update you on Denis Suarez,” he told the Guillem Balague Transfer Show.“Barcelona thought the deal was going to be taking place this week because they thought it was going to be an easy one.“Denis Suarez says ‘Arsenal or nothing, or I stay’.“But it’s not as easy as that, there are other teams that are interested.“Denis Suarez is saying exactly the same.“The problem is for Arsenal, Denis Suarez is not a top priority.“And because they’ve got a limited amount of money they can use on wages as well, and on loan deals, they’re just waiting to take a final decision.” last_img read more

11 days agoReal Madrid coach Zidane no fan of Artificial Intelligence

first_imgAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Real Madrid coach Zidane no fan of Artificial Intelligenceby Carlos Volcano11 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane is no fan of Artificial Intelligence (AI) being pushed into football.Zidane is adamant AI will never match what an experienced coach can offer.He said, “Artificial Intelligence plays a very important role at the moment, but in my opinion, human intelligence remains the most important. “The most important thing that Artificial Intelligence has to offer us as coaches now is to shorten the time to do some things about it.”Football is my passion. My life revolves around sport, so I don’t like to rest and I enjoy working all the time. In addition, when you have a game every three days, the last thing we can think about is to rest. I lead a team that is one of the best in the world, which requires me to always be ready.”Zidane was speaking at the Dubai Artificial Intelligence in Sports (DAIS) Conference, organised by the Dubai Sport Council. last_img read more

Double Standard? Andrew Harrison’s Comment Was Stupid, But It Wasn’t Racist

first_imgSaturday night, after Kentucky lost its first and only game of the 2014-2015 college basketball season, sophomore guard Andrew Harrison made a big mistake at his team’s post-game press conference, uttering a very NSFW phrase while his microphone was turned on. Harrison, who is facing criticism for the transgression, has since apologized.If you missed it, Harrison, after listening to his teammate Karl-Anthony Towns get asked about Wisconsin big man Frank Kaminsky, muttered “f*** that n****” to himself. Undoubtedly, it was stupid. But it was not racist. And there is no double standard going on here.For some reason, a number of college basketball fans are making the argument that if the situation had been reversed, and it had been Kaminsky uttering those words to himself, he’d be labeled a racist. Any by that logic, because Harrison isn’t being labeled as a racist, and because he isn’t likely to face any serious punishment, there is a double standard going on here.We’re not making this up. There are hundreds, if not thousands of tweets about it.If Andrew Harrison was white, we’d have a national catastrophe on our hands. Talk about a double standard— Alex Petik (@MuskyMaster5033) April 5, 2015Such a double standard with race I hate it. Andrew Harrison says what he says and it doesn’t get blown up but if it was other way around…— Tyler Boyle (@theeroyalboyle) April 5, 2015If Frank K had said the EXACT same thing about Andrew Harrison, think it would’ve been swept under the rug? What a double standard!— Dtrain41 (@DaneHenderson1) April 5, 2015If Andrew Harrison isn’t kicked out of school it’s a double standard @KentuckyMBB— Lara McGlynn (@lalalaLaraxo) April 5, 2015Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 12.20.00 PMObviously, if Kaminsky, a white man, had called Harrison, an African American, the n-word, he’d have been (rightfully) labeled a racist. There’s no doubt there. But comparing this to the Oklahoma SAE issue is absolutely insane.Where’s the disconnect here? Whether or not you agree with it, many African Americans refer to each other using the n-word. It’s part of the hip-hop culture. It’s part of the locker room culture. Heck, even ESPN’s Michael Wilbon admits that he and his friends use the word to “endearingly” refer to each other. To be clear, there was nothing endearing about what Harrison said about Kaminsky. But in the context of the situation, if Harrison had said “F*** that dude”, he’d be essentially saying the same thing.Harrison acted like a sore loser, and again, he should never have said what he said. But there is no double standard here. Just stop.last_img read more