CARSON — Left tackle Joe Staley walked out of the 49ers locker room with a brace on his injured right knee and a glum look on his face, casting concern over the 12th-year veteran’s status.Staley declined comment and 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said he did not yet know the severity of Staley’s injury following Sunday’s 29-27 loss to the Chargers.Right tackle Mike McGlinchey also sustained a first-half knee injury, and when the 49ers opened the second half, they had backup tackles protecting …
MOST READ The Oklahoma City Thunder center, who had voiced support for Muslim cleric Fethulla Gulen in Twitter postings after an attempted putsch last July aimed at ousting Erdogan, said thousands in Turkey could face similar fates for their support of the Gulen-inspired Hizmet, which he calls a social initiative advocating for human rights.Turkey, meanwhile, accuses US-based Gulen of ordering the failed coup and refers to the movement as the “Fethulla Terrorist Organization”.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutKanter’s family has publicly denounced the player’s support of Gulen.The pro-government Anadolu news agency reported Friday that Mehmet Kanter had been placed in protective custody in connection with an inquiry targeting Gulen. Every 18 seconds someone is diagnosed with HIV LATEST STORIES Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games View comments Cayetano dares Lacson, Drilon to take lie-detector test: Wala akong kinita sa SEA Games Pagasa: Storm intensifies as it nears PAR Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. NEW YORK, NY – MAY 22: Turkish NBA Player Enes Kanter speaks to media during a news conference about his detention at a Romanian airport on May 22, 2017 in New York City. Kanter returned to the U.S. after being detained for several hours at a Romanian airport following statements he made criticizing Turkey’s president Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Eduardo Munoz Alvarez/Getty Images/AFPTurkish NBA player Enes Kanter, an outspoken critic of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, said Friday his father had been arrested in Istanbul and could face torture.“My father is arrested because of my outspoken criticism of the ruling party,” Kanter wrote on his website. “He may get tortured for simply being my family member.”ADVERTISEMENT BREAKING: Cop killed, 11 hurt in Misamis Oriental grenade blast The arrest came a week after a warrant was issued for Enes Kanter, whose passport has been cancelled by Turkish authorities.Kanter, who has compared Erdogan to Adolf Hitler, was briefly detained in Romania on May 20 but returned to the United States with his green card, telling reporters he wanted to seek American citizenship.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Stosur urges Court to stop comments about same-sex marriage Palace: Duterte to hear out security execs on alleged China control of NGCP BREAKING: Cop killed, 11 hurt in Misamis Oriental grenade blast Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ BSP survey: PH banks see bright horizon amid dark global recession clouds
Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next For Desiderio’s part, he finished with just nine points on 4-of-18 shooting after scoring 17 points against the Growling Tigers.“I think we were complacent and we weren’t focused because of that,” said Desiderio. “I wasn’t able to adjust, I was too focused on scoring.”UP has a chance to bounce back on Sunday against University of the East, which has yet to win in two matches so far.ADVERTISEMENT NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netUniversity of the Philippines was on a high after a dramatic 74-73 opening win over University of Santo Tomas after wingman Paul Desiderio hit a dagger of a three-pointer on Sunday.Come Wednesday, the Fighting Maroons were sent crashing back to reality after Ateneo put on a display for the convincing 92-71 win as the UAAP Season 80 men’s basketball tournament continued.ADVERTISEMENT Tyler Tio makes up for lost time, debuts with a splash for Ateneo View comments Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo LATEST STORIES “What happened to us was like a wakeup call. We need to recover quickly,” said Desiderio in Filipino after his team slipped to 1-1. “It was really a struggle, we were scouted very well and almost all of our plays were countered.”UP head coach Bo Perasol called it a “rude awakening” but it was also something that his Fighting Maroons were eager to move past.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games opening“We had to move on immediately,” said Perasol in Filipino. “There’s really nothing left to do, we lost badly but it happens. We move on to Sunday and hope that we have a better game.”Against the hot shooting Blue Eagles, the Maroons were dismal on the floor, going 25-of-67 from the field. They also got sorely outrebounded, 51-38. Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim MOST READ Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters
In what is said to be one of the biggest deals in India’s aviation history, SpiceJet, India’s low-cost carrier has confirmed its plan to purchase 205 Boeing jets for $22 billion (about Rs 1.5 lakh crore) from the US-based aircraft manufacturer. With the deal, SpiceJet is seeking to win the market share from its dominant rival — IndiGo Airlines. The deal, which includes 100 firm 737 Max 8 jets, will build on an existing order for 55 aircraft, the carrier said in a statement on Friday.Also read: Boeing strikes big deal with SpiceJet for 92 Boeing 737 jetlinersAdditionally, the airline also has the option to buy 50 more wide-bodied aircraft. With this, the total order stands at $22 billion at the listed price. “SpiceJet’s new order underscores it’s drive to compete more effectively in India’s cut-throat low cost travel market. The deal for up to 205 737MAXs will certainly put it on par with Indigo for domestic dominance and the added range of the 737MAX fleet will allow SpiceJet to open up routes deeper into Asia and even parts of Europe/CIS states,” Saj Ahmad, chief analyst at StrategicAero Research, told the International Business Times, India.The deal is seen as a win-win situation for both the parties: The latest order could help SpiceJet become the largest airline in India (as per fleet size), as it competes with IndiGo, which controls the world’s fastest-growing aviation market with 42 per cent market share. For Boeing, this deal could signal the aircraft an entry into the Indian market, which is dominated by Airbus. Last month, SpiceJet had a market share of 12.8 per cent (according to the Directorate General of Civil Aviation).”Our turnaround story has been one which has very few parallels in the world today and we are proud of it. SpiceJet has achieved seven consecutive quarters of profit, highest on-time performance and lowest cancellation rates; a record load factor of over 90% every month for 20 months in a row – a feat that has no parallel in aviation history,” Ajay Singh, chairman and managing director, SpiceJe, said in the statement.SpiceJet placed its first order with Boeing in 2005 for Next-Generation B737s and currently operates 32 of the B737s in its fleet besides 17 Bombardier Q400s.The SpiceJet stock closed at Rs 65.50 on Friday, up 2.50 percent from its previous close on the Bombay Stock Exchange.
Conspiracy theorists all across the world have long been alleging that aliens are secretly living on the lunar surface. These alien enthusiasts strongly believe that NASA is well aware of extraterrestrial existence on the lunar surface, and it is one of the primary reasons that refrained the agency to visit the moon after the Apollo mission era.Adding heat to these outlandish alien claims, a transcript between astronauts who were part of the Apollo 15 mission reveals that they found neatly organized tracks on the lunar surface, Express.co.uk reports.These tracks on the lunar surface were leading to Mount Hadley, a mountain range located in the Northern Hemisphere on the moon. Please find below the transcripts between Apollo 15 astronauts and the ground crew, as reported by Express. Express.co.ukAs this conversation between the astronauts and the ground crew became viral, conspiracy theorists strongly started arguing that these tracks are concrete proof of alien existence on the lunar surface. These conspiracy theorists strongly argued that several anomalies in NASA images from the moon, and the recent UFO sightings near earth’s natural satellites indicate the presence of artificial intelligence.A few months back, China had landed its Chang’e-4 probe on the dark side of the moon. Before the mission, many conspiracy theorists predicted that the Chinese mission will encounter extraterrestrial aliens on moon’s far side that is not visible from the earth due to tidal locking. However, the mission went ahead as planned, and until now, Chang’e-4 has not detected any traces of extraterrestrial presence there.On July 15, India had planned to launch their ‘Chandrayaan-2’ space probe to the dark side of the moon. However, due to unknown technical glitches, the launch was postponed. The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) is expected to announce a new launch date soon.
Shipbreakers cut up a beached vessel for scrap in Chittagong, Bangladesh. Photo: The Guardian Mohamed Edris’s life as he knew it in the Bangladeshi ship recycling yards ended at 11.30am on Saturday 11 April 2015. The 38-year-old metal cutter had been working with 100 others on the 19,600-tonne container ship Eurus London at the Ferdous Steel Corporation shipyard in Chittagong when catastrophe struck.His task had been to cut away the huge 40-tonne propeller with a blow torch. Alarm bells rang, he said, when he saw that a large metal platform had been placed below the propeller to stop it falling into the mud on the beach.“I told the supervisor and two others that it was dangerous because it could bounce back when the propeller fell. I told them I could not do it, but they insisted that I did,” he said. He obeyed and nearly died. The propeller broke free, hit the metal plate and sprung back as he predicted. It sliced off his left leg below the knee, blinded him in one eye and nearly broke his back, says The Guardian in an article published on 2 December.The yard paid for his hospital treatment, gave him Tk 125,000 (£1,142) compensation and Tk 460 (£4.32) a week for nine months. Now he, and the seven family members he supported, rely on handouts from friends. But in a legal test case Zodiac Maritime, the London-based shipping company that managed the Eurus London until it was sold for scrap, could be held responsible, the article adds.In a case that could see British, American and European shipowners and managers being made liable for the many deaths and accidents that take place every year in Bangladeshi, Indian and Pakistani shipbreaking yards, UK law firm Leigh Day is suing Zodiac for negligence on behalf of Edris. It claims that Zodiac, which manages about 150 large ships and is owned by Eyal Ofer, son of the late Israeli shipping magnate Sammy Ofer, should have known how dangerous the Chittagong breaking yards were when the vessel was sold for scrap to GMS, a US-based “cash buyer” or middle man.“Zodiac knew, or ought to have known, that there was a foreseeable risk of physical harm to workers when they allowed their vessel to be sold to a Chittagong yard through a cash buyer,” says Martyn Day, a director of Leigh Day.New legal action is needed, say environmentalists and unions, because of the steady number of deaths and injuries to workers. On one level, shipbreaking is one of the world’s “greenest” industries, with every nut, bolt and sheet of metal on a ship being recycled. It also employs hundreds of thousands of people in some of the world’s poorest countries. But, say critics, owners knowingly cause suffering to workers by sending their ships to be recycled on Asian beaches. British-based companies have sent 28 ships to be beached in the past two years, including six to Chittagong. Two vessels waiting to be dismantled in that yard last week were managed by Zodiac.“Shipowners shield themselves from responsibility through the use of cash buyers. These scrap dealers sell off the ships for the highest price offered,” says Ingvild Jenssen, director of Shipbreaking Platform, a Brussels-based coalition of environmental, human rights and labour groups. “All ships that end up on the beaches of Bangladesh, Pakistan or India pass through cash buyers, and all sales to cash buyers are clearly scrap deals where the higher price paid indicates that the vessel will be beached.”Shipbreaker Mohamed Edris has lost his left leg and blinded in one eye by the accident. Photo: The GuardianMore than 800 large ships are broken up each year, the vast majority on Asian beaches. Owners can earn an extra $1m to $4m (£740,000 to £2.96m) per ship when selling to Asian yards via cash buyers, instead of opting for recycling yards with higher standards, says Jenssen. “No one forces the industry to send ships to be dismantled there. They choose to send them,” she says.Edris, who came to Chittagong aged 14 and who, until his accident, worked six 14-hour shifts a week, earning £3.20 a day, is one of thousands of workers who have been injured in the yards since they appeared in the 1960s. There are no official statistics but labour groups say that in the past 10 years there have been more than 125 deaths, according to The Guardian.Chittagong is now the world’s largest shipbreaking centre, last year recycling 230 ships and generating 10m tonnes of steel – up to 60% of all the steel used in Bangladesh. Most of the workers migrate from rural areas. Hired out in gangs, they live in overcrowded shacks close to the yards. The Ferdous yard is like many others. Hidden behind high metal gates, it slopes down to the Bay of Bengal. It can take months for young men, wielding only sledgehammers and metal cutters, to dismantle a large vessel.“Chittagong is the cheapest place to scrap ships but the price is suffering. Nine men have died here this year. Nobody feels responsible for these men’s lives,” says Muhammed Ali Shahin, Bangladesh coordinator of Shipbreaking Platform. The law offers little protection, he says. “EU laws stop EU-flagged ships being broken up on Asian beaches, but because owners can easily ‘reflag’ ships it has little strength.”Pressed by labour groups, the UN’s International Maritime Organisation passed the Hong Kong Convention (HKC) in 2009. This demands that ship owners and states do not pose a risk to human health, safety and the environment. But, says Shipbreaking Platform, it does not stop the beaching of vessels, which is blamed for most accidents, and it is unlikely to come into force for years because it requires 15 states, and 40% of world merchant shipping, to have signed up.“The industry is moving to adopt Hong Kong standards,” says Nikos Mikelis, a non-executive director of GMS. “There is a good likelihood of the convention entering into force within the next five to seven years. Ratifying and reaching the HKC targets will not be too difficult.” He argues that groups such as Shipbreaking Platform are naive and, by demanding the end of beaching, are endangering the livelihoods of workers in some of the world’s poorest countries.He does see progress. “Japan and India are investing $100m in upgrades. Forty-one yards out of 120 in Alang, India, now meet HKC standards and 15 others are moving towards safer and cleaner work. But in Bangladesh only one yard [PHP Shipbreaking] meets international standards.”Mikelis says the major shipping companies such as Maersk now have arrangements with individual yards. “The industry wants improvement but it needs to invest to improve,” he says.In the case of Zodiac, Martyn Day argues that the company knew the methods involved in dismantling vessels in Chittagong, yet it sold the Eurus London on in the full knowledge that it would be broken up in unsafe conditions. “They had a duty not to sell vessels to Bangladesh shipyards via their contractors or cash buyers,” he says. “Zodiac sold it to a cash buyer in the knowledge it would be dismantled in unsafe conditions.”In a statement to the Observer, Zodiac said the accident occurred four months after the ship had been sold to a third-party buyer. As a result, it said: “We deny any liability for the injuries suffered by Edris and we dispute the claim.”It added: “The yard where Edris was employed was not Zodiac’s contractor and Zodiac did not select the yard used to dismantle the vessel. Zodiac has no control over the working practices at shipbreaking yards. The claim seeks to extend the law of negligence beyond any recognised boundaries. It is the law of Bangladesh which applies to this case.”The impact of an injury on workers’ families is immense. “Edris provided for seven people,” said one man who knows him. “He has no savings. He is angry. He is now wholly reliant on the generosity of friends and family. His children have become scared of him because he cries a lot and screams in pain.”Edris said: “I feel like a dead man. I have no hope. I will never be able to go back to work. I have steel plates in my body and I can only walk on sticks, I am in constant pain. I want to open a shop, but that needs 500,000 Bdt.“I have seen many men killed and injured. It is very dangerous work. I tell people not to work there.”