Suarez relieved as Barcelona win at ‘tricky’ Getafeby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveLuis Suarez and Leo Messi struck as Barcelona won 2-1 at Getafe on Sunday.Messi scored his 399th La Liga goal and Luis Suarez netted with a stunning volley as Barcelona moved five points clear at the top of the table with victory at Getafe.Argentine Messi opened the scoring in the 20th minute when he slotted in from a very tight angle.Suarez doubled the lead with a venomous shot from the edge of the area.Jaime Mata fired in to reduce the deficit before Jorge Molina missed an open goal for Getafe after the break.”It was very hard and tricky with so many people in the way, but I managed to hit it well,” said Suarez of his goal.”The opponent played well, we knew their qualities, how they defend, and we knew how to get the points, although there’s half a season to go.”On Messi he added: “Leo (Messi) is the best player in the world, wherever he plays. He’s got details of a different class of player and to share the pitch with him is incredible.” About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
Deadlines are powerful motivating forces for journalists, tax filers, eurozone negotiators — and bracket pickers. The number of men’s NCAA Tournament brackets submitted per minute by ESPN.com users peaked at 11:51 a.m. EDT on Thursday, mere minutes before the 12:15 p.m tipoff of the first-round opener and the deadline to enter picks, according to data provided by our colleagues at ESPN.com.1Per their request, we’re sharing only the relative magnitude of submissions, not absolute numbers. The maximum rate of bracket submissions per minute on Thursday was more than three times the high of the day before and about five times the max on Monday and Tuesday. All told, even counting the wee hours in the U.S., there were more brackets submitted in just half of Thursday than in all of Tuesday. Not everyone waits until the last minute, though. At ESPN.com, there was an earlier, although lesser, spike in online bracket submissions just after the bracket went up. For every three people who were madly filling in chalk and upsets in their entries just before noon on Thursday, there were two hitting submit on theirs eight minutes after the first Tournament Challenge bracket was submitted at 7:12 p.m. on Sunday.Maybe it’s my bias as a journalist showing, but I think the procrastinators had the right idea: They could benefit from forecasts like ours.Check out FiveThirtyEight’s 2016 March Madness Predictions. At CBSSports.com, the surge came even later. Bracket submissions to the site peaked at 11:59 a.m., according to spokeswoman Annie Rohrs.
Play ‘Em Ben Roethlisberger: So much for being rusty. Big Ben returned from his suspension throwing for 257 yards with three touchdowns and one interception against the Browns. This week, he takes on a Dolphins defense that allows 22 points per game and Big Ben’s last game against Miami, 220 yards and three touchdowns. From here on out, Big Ben is a Top Ten quarterback. Matt Cassel: Cassel and the Chiefs offense woke up last week against the Texans, 209 yards with three touchdowns and one interception. Cassel gets another great matchup against Jacksonville, who allows 264 passing yards per game. Look for Cassel to find Dwayne Bowe or Tony Moeaki around the goal line. Consider Cassel as a bye-week filler. Joe Flacco: Flacco has been solid in the past four weeks, throwing six touchdowns versus one interception. Flacco is a must-start this week against Buffalo. Buffalo is known for its horrid defense against the run, but showed holes in the secondary against David Garrard in Week Five, 178 yards with three touchdowns and one interception. Expect Flacco to lean on Ray Rice and Anquan Boldin in the passing attack. Chris Ivory: Ivory took advantage of his rare playing time last week against Tampa Bay, 15 carries for 158 yards. Ivory will continue to get the workload if Pierre Thomas (high-ankle sprain) is out. Ivory will find running lanes against a Browns defense that has allowed 100 yards to opposing running backs in four out of the first six games. If you’re in a bind at the running back position, Ivory is worth picking up. Michael Bush: Darren McFadden is still nursing a hamstring injury, so Bush should see the majority of the carries. The Raiders face a Broncos defense that allows 128 rushing yards per game and Bush has had success against Denver, 133 yards and a touchdown. Before playing Bush, monitor McFadden’s health status. Jeremy Maclin: Maclin ran past the Falcons defense last week, 159 yards and two touchdowns. Maclin will be the focus of the Eagles’ offense because DeSean Jackson will be out with a concussion. Look for continued success as Maclin and Kevin Kolb are developing a tight bond and face a Titans’ pass defense that ranks 27th in the league. Bench ‘Em Chad Henne: Henne has now thrown two touchdowns passes in three straight games after his performance against Green Bay, 239 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. If you’re looking for quarterback help, avoid Henne this week against the Steelers. Henne’s last game against Pittsburgh wasn’t too impressive, 140 yards with one touchdown and one interception. Along with Henne, avoid running backs Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams. Ryan Torain: Torain looks like the better back in Washington over Clinton Portis, but I’m not jumping on the bandwagon yet. I expect the Bears to bounce back from a poor outing against Seattle, 114 yards and two touchdowns allowed rushing. They will stack the box and force the Redskins to throw the ball. Until Torain puts up consistent numbers, I’ll continue to pass on “The Train.” LeSean McCoy: McCoy is dealing with a rib injury and is questionable for Sunday’s game. Even at full strength, I would advise sitting McCoy. The Titans have a stout run defense that allowed Maurice Jones-Drew 57 yards Monday Night. The Eagles still remain a pass-first offense and will take advantage of the Titans’ weak pass defense. Marques Colston: I am losing patience with the Saints receiver as he continues to be mediocre. He had 53 yards against Tampa Bay. Colston continues to get the majority of the targets, but is not involved in the red zone. It’s tempting to start Colston against Cleveland, but Lance Moore and Robert Meachem continue to be involved in this offense.
The Ohio State men’s basketball team is more than a month away from kicking off its 2011-12 season, but its Final Four hopes have already taken a small hit. OSU announced Monday that incoming freshman LaQuinton Ross was ruled an academic non-qualifier by the NCAA and will not be on the Buckeyes roster when the team opens practice on Oct. 14. Ross, who according the Rivals.com was the No. 43 overall recruit in the class of 2011, was the highest-ranked of the five players who committed to play for OSU coach Thad Matta this season. In his senior season of high school, Ross averaged 25.4 points, 11.3 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game. As an academic non-qualifier, Ross did not meet the academic standards that are required for all NCAA Division I athletes. According to the NCAA’s official website, an incoming student must be a high school graduate, achieve a 2.0 GPA and present a qualifying score on either the SAT or ACT. Academic non-qualifiers are not permitted to receive an academic scholarship for a full year, meaning that Ross likely won’t play for the Buckeyes until the 2012-13 season, at the earliest. Despite Ross having signed a letter of intent last November to play for the Buckeyes, being ruled as an academic non-qualifier returns his status with the NCAA back to that of a prospect. As a prospect, Ross is allowed to be recruited and can sign to play with schools other than OSU, granted that he academically qualifies for the 2012-13 season. Ross has spent the past summer in Columbus, playing alongside current and former OSU players. CBSSports reported on Monday that Ross, who attended high school at Life Center Academy in Burlington, N.J., would be returning to his home state of Mississippi to “take a class and retake the SAT.” From his Twitter account, @qross2011, Ross posted on Friday at approximately 7 p.m.: “Struggling is something I’m use to!! I seem to bounce back everytime this time want be any different!!” The Buckeyes were hoping that Ross, a 6-foot-8, 225-pound forward, would help replace some of the perimeter scoring that the team lost when forward David Lighty and guard Jon Diebler graduated. With senior guard William Buford and sophomore swingmen Deshaun Thomas and Jordan Sibert returning this year, it is possible that Ross may not have found playing time in Matta’s rotation. With 2010-11 All-American and OSU leading scorer and rebounder Jared Sullinger returning for his sophomore season, the Buckeyes are expected to be a top-five team to start this season. OSU kicks off its regular season on Nov. 11 against Wright State in the Global Sports Shoot-out.
OSU coach Urban Meyer prepares to lead the Buckeyes onto the field before the OSU- Army game on Sep. 16. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo EditorThe No. 11 Ohio State football team (3-1, 1-0) has shown substantial progress in its last two games with a 54-21 win against UNLV Saturday and a 38-7 victory versus Army two weeks ago.. As such, the team has not seen any drastic changes in the depth chart in its weekly update.The only change this week was the removal of defensive tackle Malik Barrow from the fourth spot at his position. Barrow suffered a season-ending torn ACL during Saturday’s win against UNLV.Freshman middle linebacker Tuf Borland was still listed as a co-starter with redshirt senior Chris Worley. Worley missed all of last week’s game against UNLV with a foot sprain, the same injury that took him out of the first quarter against Army. Redshirt sophomore C.J. Saunders remains listed as the third-string H-back under Parris Campbell and K.J. Hill.The depth chart can be found here.
Dear Editor,As a Wilmington senior citizen who watches the Selectmen meetings weekly, I would like to offer my strong support and endorsement for Greg Bendel. He was elected to the Board of Selectmen three years ago and has shown by his action, knowledge, and deep concern for ALL of the residents of Wilmington.As an educator and coach, he is well aware of the needs of our children. Having served on the Wilmington Housing Authority, he is concerned and motivated to help our citizens. Raising a young family in Wilmington, he is aware of all the problems we share and all the great things Wilmington has to offer.Greg is available and makes it a priority to attend as many of the meetings and functions around town, knowing first hand of the wants and needs of the people. Along with Kevin Caira, who was elected to the Board three years ago and serves as Chairman this year, they have conducted the meetings in a very open, caring and transparent way.During public comments, Mr. Caira, in my opinion, is very generous, allowing everyone to speak and handles the sometimes unreasonable behavior with courtesy, civility, and patience. Mr. Caira has been involved in so many activities and volunteering in our town, including coaching Little League and Wilmington High School football and softball. And there are so many others.He was Vice Chairman of the Yentile Famr Recreational Development Committee, founding member and Vice President of the Wildcat Alumni and Friends Association member, and former Lodge President of the Wilmington Sons of Italy. (Also Past President and current National President of the Sons of Italy’s Committee for Social Justice.) And many more achievements for both Kevin and Greg to mention here.Both of these gentlemen are serving for the right reasons… and that is for you, for me, and for ALL of the townspeople of Wilmington.I would ask you to join me on April 27 and vote for Greg Bendel and Kevin Caira.Please know how very important your vote is.Thank you,Marilyn CoxLike Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE GETS TO WORK: 20 Building Projects Happening In Town RIGHT NOWIn “Business”SELECTMEN NEWS: Board Supports Fire & Police Substation In North Wilmington; Town To Vote On Project In April 2020?In “Government”LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bendel & Caira Are Trustworthy & Keep Their Campaign PromisesIn “Letter To The Editor”
Enlarge ImageMmm, wagon. BMW BMW revealed its new 3 Series Wagon on Wednesday, but don’t get your checkbook out just yet. Last we heard, BMW isn’t planning to offer the longroof 3 Series in the United States anymore. And that’s a shame, since this one looks to be a seriously nice package.Up front, the 3 Series Wagon — or Touring, as it’s known in BMW parlance — shares its fascia with the G20-generation 3 Series Sedan. Around back, the wagon’s taillights use a similar design to the sedan’s, and the angular rear glass kinks nicely into the overall shape of the hatch.Speaking of the hatch, all 3 Series Wagons come with an electronically operated tailgate, and you can set how far it opens in the car’s iDrive infotainment system. BMW says the luggage compartment is wider than before, with both a taller and wider loading aperture, making it easier to load cargo. The back seats have a standard 40:20:40 split, and can be folded flat. Maximum cargo capacity is 53 cubic feet, which is about the same as a compact SUV.Enlarge ImageInside, the Touring is the same as any other new 3 Series. BMW A total of seven engines will be offered in Europe. The gas-fed 330i and M340i xDrive variants that we get on the US-spec sedan carry over, and a third, less powerful 320i is also available. On the diesel front, buyers can select engines ranging from 150 to 265 horsepower in output — or more importantly, 320 to 580 pound-feet of torque. For folks who might tow, the base 320i Touring can pull 3,500 pounds, while all other versions can handle 4,000.For front passengers, the 3 Series Touring is identical to the 3 Series Sedan — the design, switchgear and multimedia systems all carry over unchanged. The most robust iDrive 7 setup features a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster and 10.2-inch central screen, with BMW’s voice-controlled AI assistant on board.BMW says customers will be able to preorder the new 3 Series Touring this month, ahead of its official on-sale date in September. Again, it’s unclear if this shaggin’ wagon will ever be offered in the US, but for now, we’ll keep our fingers crossed. The 2020 BMW 3 Series Touring is a wagon we want 1 Wagons Luxury cars Share your voice Tags 2019 BMW X5 xDrive50i review: A potent and tech-rich SUV BMW 2020 Toyota Supra review: A solid sports car that’s rife with controversy More From Roadshow Comment 74 Photos BMW 2019 BMW 330i xDrive review: The new and improved 3 Series
Kolkata: South Eastern Railway and Eastern Railway cancelled a number of trains on Friday considering the safety and security of the travelling passengers in view of the severe cyclonic storm Fani, which has already struck Odisha and is likely to hit Bengal late on Friday night.The Howrah-Puri Sri Jagannath Express, Howrah-Yesvantpur Express, Howrah-Puri Express, Howrah-Chennai Mail, and Howrah-Puri Shatabdi Express were cancelled on Friday. The Howrah-Bhubaneswar Jan Shatabdi Express and Bangriposi-Bhubaneswar Express scheduled on May 4 and the Santragachi-Tirupati Express scheduled on May 5 have also been cancelled by SER. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataMeanwhile, Eastern Railway cancelled the Puri-Sealdah Duronto Express scheduled to leave Puri on Saturday and Muzaffarpur-Yesvantpur Express scheduled to leave Muzaffarpur on Monday. The Secunderabad-Guwahati Express scheduled to leave Secunderabad on May 5, Puri-Kamakhya Express scheduled to leave Puri on May 4 and Kamakhya-Secunderabad Special scheduled to leave Kamakhya on May 6, will all remain cancelled according to a statement by Eastern Railway. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in stateSix local trains from Sealdah/Barasat to Hasnabad and four locals from Hasnabad to Sealdah/ Barasat were cancelled by ER authorities for the sake of passenger safety in view of the gust and heavy rainfall, as a precautionary measure. A group of people obstructed train movement at Barasat station, protesting against cancellation of trains at around 4.10 pm. Normal services were resumed at 6.10 pm, when the obstructions were withdrawn. Four Sealdah-Bongaon locals had to be cancelled, while 16 locals (8 Up and 8 Down) lost punctuality.