School bus crash in University City sends students to hospital KUSI Newsroom KUSI Newsroom, December 19, 2018 Posted: December 19, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News, Traffic & Accidents FacebookTwitter SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – More than three dozen high school students were taken to a hospital for precautionary evaluations Wednesday after a car rear-ended their school bus in the University City area while they were on their way to classes, authorities reported.An Infiniti sedan struck the school vehicle shortly before 8:30 a.m. on Genesee Avenue, just north of state Route 52, according to the California Highway Patrol.No serious injuries were reported, but medics took all 38 University City High School students who had been riding in the bus to a hospital to be checked out.San Diego Unified School District said that all students were examined by medical staff and were released to their parents, with no serious injuries reported.It was unclear if the driver of the sedan suffered any injuries in the crash.The CHP shut down the on-ramp from westbound SR-52 to northbound Genesee Avenue during the crash investigation and cleanup.
Dan Cohen AUTHOR All three military departments are accepting risks to their facilities in their fiscal 2017 budget requests by postponing needed sustainment and restoration projects, the Pentagon’s top installation officials told lawmakers Thursday.Insufficient investment in recent years has resulted in the degradation of many Navy installations’ piers, runways and other facilities, Steven Iselin, principal deputy assistant secretary for energy, installations and environment, told the Senate Military Construction and Veterans Affairs Appropriations Subcommittee.The Air Force included funding in its budget proposal for only 30 construction projects out of 500 requested by major commands, said Miranda Ballentine, assistant secretary for installations, environment and energy, reported Military Times. She said she expects the backlog of degrading facilities to grow.About 15 percent of DOD facilities are in “failing” condition and about 12 percent are in “poor” condition, Pete Potochney, acting assistant secretary of defense for energy, installations and environment, told the panel.Officials “are doing the best we can in making sure dollars are spent wisely and to compete for those resources in this budget environment,” Potochney said. “Facilities degrade more slowly than readiness, and in a constrained budget environment, it is responsible to take risk in facilities first,” he said.The witnesses’ written testimony and a webcast of the hearing can be found on the committee website.
1. For anyone looking to upgrade their #NintendoSwitch or get a #NintendoSwitchLite using a trade-in and transfer at a retail store, I just did it. Here’s how my transfer process went and what you should know BEFORE you head in to make the… Switch 😉 pic.twitter.com/RojIgWNHK2— ✨ ashley ✨ (@AshleyEsqueda) August 14, 2019 0 Dan Ackerman/CNET The Nintendo Switch Lite is still more than a month away, but there’s one new piece of Nintendo hardware you can get right now. The so-called V2 version of the dockable Switch has quietly made its way into stores, and some people are even trading in their original hardware for the new model.The difference between the two versions of the modular Switch is a processor upgrade that promises improved battery life (newer processors are often more power efficient than their predecessors). The new V2 battery claim from Nintendo is 4.5 to 9 hours, vs. 2.5 to 6.5 hours for the first-gen hardware. Both V2 and V1 Switches in hand, I ran a battery test on each. For this comparison, I ran non-stop video via the Switch’s YouTube app, with screen brightness at 100% and auto-brightness and sleep timers turned off. Note that V1 Switch used here has some mileage on it, but has been used almost exclusively docked. (What can I say? I’m a docker, not a hander.)Nintendo Switch V2: 4 hours 55 minutesNintendo Switch V1: 3 hours 30 minutes That’s a notable improvement, but is it worth selling or trading in your current Switch for a new one? I’d say it’s doubtful, especially as you’ll have to transfer game saves from one system to another, a process Nintendo complicates by deleting the data from the original Switch as part of the transfer process.My colleague Ashley Esqueda did just that, transferring her saves as part of a trade-in right at a retail store. She describes the process (and it’s a bit of a hassle) in great detail in this excellent Twitter thread. Tags Computers Gaming Share your voice Post a comment I tried something different, transferring the saved content for a single game from the V1 Switch to the V2. By doing this, both Switch units can use the same account, but your saved game files are deleted from the original Switch when they get transferred to the new one. It’s also worth keeping track of which one is your primary Switch, which is an important designation Nintendo keeps track of. On your primary device, other user accounts on the same hardware can access your owned content. On a secondary device, only you can. If you’re convinced the Switch V2 is for you, just don’t go out and accidentally buy some old stock that’s still sitting on a store shelf. The only way I could find to tell the hardware apart is the model number stamped on the back. The original reads “HAC-001,” while V2 is “HAC-001 (-01).” But there’s also an easier way to tell the difference — the V2 Switch comes in a box with a red background on its front panel. But even if you just bought a V1 Switch, there’s hope, as Nintendo will swap out an original Switch purchased after July 17 for a new V2 model if you contact the company. See it at Best BuyDisclosure: CNET may get a share of revenue from the sale of products featured on this page. Nintendo
China’s Anbang Insurance Group Co raised its offer for Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc to almost $14 billion, Starwood said on Monday, in the latest challenge to the U.S. hotel operator’s merger with Marriott International Inc.The bidding war for Starwood has pitted Marriott’s ambitions to create the world’s largest lodging company with about 5,700 hotels against Anbang’s drive to create a vast portfolio of U.S. real estate assets.The acquisition of Starwood, owner of the Sheraton and Westin brands, by Anbang would be the largest ever by a Chinese company in the United States.Anbang’s consortium, which includes private equity firms J.C. Flowers & Co and Primavera Capital Ltd, has offered $82.75 per share in cash, in what is reasonably likely to lead to a proposal that is superior to the deal with Marriott, Starwood said on Monday. Reuters had reported earlier on Monday that Anbang had raised its offer.Marriott’s latest cash-and-stock offer, which was announced on March 21, is currently worth around $78 per share. Starwood’s board has not yet changed its recommendation to its shareholders in support of the company’s merger with Marriott, Starwood said. A vote for Starwood shareholders to approve the Marriott deal is scheduled for April 8.”Marriott has the financial capacity and the wherewithal to push its bid up higher. However, so much of the transaction is based on Marriott’s current share price, I think investors would be less than thrilled if it increased its offer materially at this juncture,” said Bill Crow, an analyst at Raymond James.Marriott declined to say on Monday if it would raise its offer further. In a statement, Marriott said it was confident that the previously announced amended merger agreement with Starwood is the best course for both companies.”Starwood stockholders should give serious consideration to the question of whether the Anbang-led consortium will be able to close the proposed transaction, with a particular focus on the certainty of the consortium’s financing and the timing of any required regulatory approvals,” Marriott said in its statement.In any deal with Anbang or Marriott, Starwood shareholders will also receive stock in Interval Leisure Group Inc, which is getting Starwood’s vacation ownership business, currently worth $5.91 per Starwood share.Starwood shares were trading up 2.4 percent at $84.07 on Monday. Marriott shares were up 4 percent to $71.40, as some investors hoped Anbang’s move would prompt Marriott to walk away from an expensive deal.Anbang’s latest offer values Starwood at 13.5 times earnings. By comparison, peers Hyatt Hotels Corp and Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc are trading at around ten times earnings.To be sure, the Anbang offer is still cheaper than some of large real estate deals seen in the run-up to the 2008 financial crisis. Buyout firm Blackstone Group LP’s $26 billion leveraged buyout of Hilton in 2007, for example, valued that company at 15 times earnings.CFIUS REVIEWMarriott said last week it believes it could achieve $250 million in annual cost synergies within two years after closing the deal with Starwood, up from $200 million estimated in November 2015 when it signed its original merger agreement.An acquisition of Starwood by Anbang would probably face scrutiny by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), an inter agency panel that reviews deals to ensure they do not harm national security. However, sources have said both Starwood and Anbang believe that deal would receive CFIUS clearance.Under its latest merger agreement with Marriott, Starwood would pay a breakup fee to Marriott of $450 million.Lazard and Citigroup Global Markets Inc are financial advisers to Starwood, and Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP is its legal counsel. Deutsche Bank Securities and Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher are advising Marriott.PJT Partners Inc PJT.N is Anbang’s financial adviser, while Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP is its legal counsel.
Share X David Fulmer via FlickrA view from the South Rim trail at Big Bend National Park on a hazy day.Environmental groups say the Environmental Protection Agency is taking a “do-nothing” approach to dealing with pollution in Texas.On Friday, a coalition of groups sued the agency over the latest version of a rule meant to reduce haze in scenic parts of Texas and the U.S., saying it doesn’t go far enough.There is consensus on one point: that haze in national parks is a problem. The EPA acknowledged that when it finalized its new haze cleanup plan in October, saying that average visibility in many national parks and wilderness areas is “about one-half to two-thirds of the visual range that would exist without anthropogenic air pollution.”Stephanie Kodish is an attorney with the National Parks Conservation Association, which worries about pollution in the Big Bend and Guadalupe Mountains parks coming from power plants.“Not only do these sources compromise visibility, but they also affect visitor health, and they’re the same sources that have an impact on our climate,” Kodish said. Her group and others argue the Obama Administration’s approach to cleaning up haze would’ve had better results. The new plan gives Texas power plants alternatives to installing costly emissions controls, one of them being an emissions trading program within the state.The EPA said its policy is to not comment on pending litigation, but in deciding on the new rule, the agency had considered arguments from Texas power companies that the old version would’ve been unnecessarily costly, and that it was an example of federal overreach. The groups suing are also formally petitioning the EPA to reconsider the new rule. To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: Listen 00:00 /01:06