Injured Caroline Wozniacki drops out of Strasbourg International

first_imgFormer world number one Caroline Wozniacki’s preparation for next week’s French Open suffered a huge blow after she retired injured from her opening-round match against American Shelby Rogers at Strasbourg International on Monday.Top-seed Wozniacki, who started the match with a 4-3 win-loss record on clay this year, failed to see off the first set as Rogers saved three set points to win 7-6.The Dane was trailing 0-1 in the second set when she called for a medical timeout, and later served a pair of double faults before deciding to withdraw.World number 55 Rogers, who reached the quarter-finals at Roland Garros last year, will face China’s Wang Qiang in the round of 16 on Tuesday.Wang defeated Risa Ozaki of Japan 6-4 3-6 6-3 in her opening round match on Sunday.last_img read more

Walker backs Rooneys England comeback

first_imgKyle Walker believes Wayne Rooney’s one-off appearance for England this month is a deserved honour for himThe FA have handed Rooney a surprise call-up for England’s friendly against the United States at Wembley next Thursday.It will be Rooney’s 120th England appearance and his first in two years.The likes of former England striker Alan Shearer have accused the FA of turning the game into a “Rooney testimonial”.Jadon Sancho, Borussia DortmundCrouch: Liverpool could beat Man United to Jadon Sancho Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Peter Crouch wouldn’t be surprised to see Jadon Sancho end up at Liverpool one day instead of his long-term pursuers Manchester United.But Walker is pleased with the decision and believes it’s well deserved.“It’s good. Wayne was there from when I was 20,” said Walker in a pre-match press conference for Manchester City’s Champions League game against Shakhtar Donetsk on YouTube.“He helped me right through my England career and I think it’s the send-off he deserves for what he’s done for both English football and for England.”The DC United striker has provided a record 53 goals for England along with a further 22 assists in 119 games.last_img read more

Italy avalanche toll at 15

first_imgThe hearse leaves San Nicola Vescovo church after the funeral service for Alessandro Giancaterino on 24 January, 2017 in Farindola. Photo: AFPThe death toll from an avalanche that swamped an Italian mountain hotel rose to 15 Tuesday, with 14 still missing, as a nearby helicopter crash left six people dead and dealt another blow to a region reeling from earthquakes and the heaviest snowfall in decades.The emergency response helicopter came down in thick fog near Campo Felice, a popular ski resort 120 kilometres (75 miles) east of Rome, during the evacuation of an injured skier.There were reports of a loud explosion being heard.“Rescue teams have reached the wreck of the helicopter and they found the bodies of the six deceased in the snow,” a police spokesman told AFP.Campo Felice, located at 710 metres (2,330 feet) altitude but with pistes up to just over 2,000 metres, is close to the epicentres of earthquakes that struck the region last Wednesday and were followed by the killer avalanche.Police said there was no apparent link between the crash and the seismic activity or the avalanche.But it came as firefighters and mountain police grappled with their aftermath.A team of first responders who had been helping the rescue effort at the Hotel Rigopiano was dispatched to the helicopter crash site but would not have been able to get there before news of the deaths came.The tally of bodies found in the ruins of the Rigopiano rose to 15 on the sixth day of an increasingly forlorn search through the snow-covered wreckage.Eleven staff and guests survived the disaster, two men who we outside when the avalanche struck and nine people, including four children, who were found on Friday.Rescuers have refused to give up hope of finding more people alive with morale amongst the exhausted rescuers having been boosted on Monday when three puppies were retrieved alive from under the rubble.Italian authorities are investigating the chain of events leading to the avalanche to see if the tragedy could or should have been avoided.A preliminary manslaughter investigation has been opened with the prosecutor in charge looking into whether environmental risks were properly taken into account during the construction and subsequent renovation of the hotel.Events on the day of the disaster itself, when guests were unable to leave because of snow-blocked access roads, are also in the spotlight.Tunnelling into wreckage -The local council had only one functioning road-clearance vehicle and had deployed it to reach isolated hamlets with elderly residents rather than clearing the road to the hotel.A second snow plough had broken down earlier in the month and staff were awaiting authorisation to get a 25,000-euro ($26,800) repair done.The hotel, a four-star spa facility where George Clooney once stayed, was built into a hillside at 1,200 metres altitude on the eastern slopes of Monte Gran Sasso. Campo Felice is on the other side of the near 3,000-metre peak that dominates the region.The survivors pulled from the ruins on Friday were all treated for mild hypothermia, suggesting anyone still alive nearly four days later would have had to have found some way of keeping warm.Rescuers have not ruled that out because they believe some rooms they are trying to reach by tunnelling through thick stone walls may be almost intact.New routes have been dug into the rubble but progress remained painfully slow with the first responders often digging with their bare hands because of fears of masonry or snow slides.The avalanche occurred three hours after the last of four magnitude five earthquakes shook the region in the space of four hours.Police have calculated the force of the impact on the three-storey stone and wood structure as being equivalent to it being hit by 4,000 fully-loaded trucks.The first funerals for the victims were held Tuesday.last_img read more

India reimposes restrictions in Kashmir ahead of EidulAzha

first_imgKashmiri women shout slogans during a protest after the scrapping of the special constitutional status for Kashmir by the Indian government, in Srinagar, on 11 August 2019. Photo: ReutersIndian authorities reimposed some restrictions in parts of Kashmir on Sunday ahead of the Muslim festival Eid, amid fears that large gatherings could trigger renewed protests against Delhi’s withdrawal of special rights for the region.Indian prime minister Narendra Modi’s government locked down the Muslim-majority region last Sunday, cutting off communications, detaining more than 300 political leaders and activists, and putting a ‘virtual curfew’ into force with numerous police and army roadblocks stopping movement by many residents.Seeking to tighten its grip on the region also claimed by neighbouring Pakistan, India scrapped Jammu and Kashmir’s right to frame its own laws and allowed non-residents to buy property there.On Friday, restrictions on movement in some parts of the Himalayan region’s main city of Srinagar were relaxed, with people pouring out on to the streets to stock up on provisions.But protests erupted after Friday prayers, with pro-independence youth demonstrating before being repelled by tear gas and pellets, according to police sources, witnesses and footage shown by international broadcasters.On Sunday, a Reuters reporter saw a police van driving around one part of Srinagar announcing that restrictions had been imposed again and asking people to stay indoors.Police checkpoints were also placed on some roads leading to the old quarter of the city, a traditional hotbed of protests, and some streets in central Srinagar.Officials were debating how to handle Monday’s Eid-al-Azha festival, one of the two most important festivals of the Islamic calendar, which typically sees several thousands throng major mosques in Srinagar.Indian officials will hold a video-conference with senior police and administration officials from all 10 districts in the disputed Kashmir valley on Sunday evening to decide on restrictions, two senior state government officials told Reuters.”We will make an assessment of the situation today,” one official said, requesting anonymity because he is not authorised to speak to the media. “I do not think we will allow large gatherings.”Kashmiri men shout slogans during a protest after the scrapping of the special constitutional status for Kashmir by the Indian government, in Srinagar, on 11 August 2019. Photo: ReutersIndia’s home ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the latest restrictions in Kashmir.Leaders in Kashmir had warned of a backlash against the stripping of autonomy in a territory where militants have been fighting Indian rule for nearly 30 years, leading to the deaths of more than 50,000 people.Reuters reported at least 10,000 people were involved in Friday’s protest in Srinagar’s Soura area, based on an estimate provided by a police source and backed up by two eyewitnesses. Another official source on Saturday gave Reuters the same estimate.Dilbag Singh, the Jammu and Kashmir director general of police, told Reuters on Sunday that between 1,000 and 1,500 people were returning from praying at mosques on Friday when “some miscreants” started pelting stones at security officials.”It was a reaction to stone pelting by these miscreants that one or two rounds of pump action gun was fired,” Singh said, adding that four to five men suffered injuries.Authorities had detained around 300 local leaders in total and some of them had been taken out of Kashmir, he said.Pakistan’s WrathPakistan has downgraded diplomatic ties with India and suspended trade in anger at Delhi’s latest move.Pakistani prime minister Imran Khan on Sunday compared India’s ruling Hindu nationalist party’s policies to dictator Adolf Hitler’s “Nazi Aryan Supremacy.” He warned Modi’s actions would go beyond Kashmir and eventually target Indian Muslims and neighbouring Pakistan.”Attempt is to change demography of Kashmir through ethnic cleansing. Question is: Will the world watch & appease as they did Hitler at Munich?” Khan tweeted.Ram MAzhav, a senior leader in India’s ruling Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), hit back.”Threat to democratic world is from Pak-sponsored Jehadi terror, not from India,” MAzhav tweeted.Pakistan said on Saturday that it had gained China’s support to take a motion to the United Nations Security Council condemning the Indian decision to change the status of Jammu and Kashmir.Islamabad has not received much support from other major nations, however, suggesting its odds of success at the UN were slim.India’s BJP has long campaigned for abrogating Kashmir’s special privileges in the constitution, which it sees as an appeasement to Muslims and a hindrance to its own development.The BJP and even some top opposition leaders have welcomed the decision to absorb Kashmir fully into India, and it has brought Modi support across the country.Blocked off from the world and largely unable to work or socialize, many Kashmiris were sombre ahead of Monday’s festival. Some said they would not partake in the ritual sacrificing of sheep.”What kind of Eid is this?” said one elderly man walking down a street in downtown Srinagar’s Jamia Masjid area. “We cannot reach our loves ones, we cannot visit our relatives’ homes, then what are we celebrating?” he said, declining to be named.last_img read more

Airport fiasco DEOs report to EC validates Abhisheks claim

first_imgKolkata: A report submitted to the Election Commission by the District Magistrate of North 24-Parganas in connection with the detention of Rujira Banerjee, wife of Trinamool Congress MP Abhishek Banerjee at Kolkata Airport, says that there is no mention of any gold in the seizure list by the Customs.The report has validated Abhishek Banerjee’s claim who had categorically stated during a press conference on Sunday that his wife had not been carrying any gold when she was intercepted by Customs officials inside Kolkata Airport on the night of March 15. He had also challenged the Customs officials to produce CCTV footages, if they had any, to prove that his wife was carrying gold. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataFollowing the incident, the office of the Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) in the state sought a report on the entire incident from the District Magistrate of North 24-Parganas Antara Acharya, who is also the District Election Officer (DEO). After being instructed by the commission, the DEO on Tuesday submitted the report to the office of the Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) on Tuesday, which apparently validates Banerjee’s claim. The incident had triggered a political slugfest in the state ahead of the Lok Sabha elections. Banerjee had expressed strong objection after many news portals and some national news channels reported the incident without verifying the authenticity of the allegations. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in stateThe commission had also received several complaints in this regard from various political parties. Banerjee’s lawyer had filed a complaint with the CEO’s office against BJP’s MP from Asansol Babul Supriyo, for making false statements regarding the issue, on his Twitter handle. The fake news related to the incident was also mentioned in the complaint by his lawyer. A senior official of the CEO’s office has confirmed that the report has been received. After going through the report, the CEO’s office will finally send it to the Election Commission of India (ECI) in Delhi. The CEO’s office will act according to the instructions of the ECI in this regard. It has been learnt that the DEO has submitted the report on the basis of inputs provided by Bidhannagar Police. The CEO’s office has no jurisdiction to intervene in the Customs related matter and hence it is up to the ECI to take up the matter with the Central agencies if it feels so. “We have received a factual report from the DEO of North 24-Parganas on the matter. We are looking into it,” a senior election official from the CEO’s office said.last_img read more