“The court of Additional Sessions Judge M.A. Khan acquitted both the accused of all the charges as the prosecution could not establish any of the charges levelled against them,” advocate M.S. Khan said over phone.Mr. Wani, who was arrested by the Delhi Police in 2001 allegedly with explosives and incriminating material, is a resident of Peeparkari area of Srinagar and is currently lodged in a Lucknow jail.The blast was carried out on Independence Day eve when the train was on its way from Muzaffarpur to Ahmedabad. Nine people were killed in the blast. SC pulls up trial court in Sabarmati train blasts case Former Aligarh Muslim University scholar Gulzar Ahmed Wani was on Saturday acquitted by a Barabanki court of the charge of orchestrating a blast in Sabarmati Express in 2000.According to the counsel for the accused, the court freed Mr. Wani and co-accused Mobin due to lack of evidence.Also Read
Singer Aditya Narayan allegedly got into an argument with IndiGo ground staff and abused them at the Raipur airport on Sunday morning, after he was asked to cough up ₹13,000 for excess baggage, the airline said in a statement. At the time of check-in, Mr. Narayan was asked to pay for extra baggage weighing 40 kg, which led to a heated argument between him and the IndiGo ground staff, the statement read.“(If) you are going to offload me, I will see you in Mumbai…phir dekh lenge (then we will see),” the singer can be heard threatening a duty manager, in a video being played by TV channels.The airline said, Mr. Narayan also used “unparliamentary” language while arguing with a female staff. However, he was later issued a boarding pass after he apologised to the ground staff. The airline did not say whether he paid the excess baggage fee or not.Narayan did not reply, despite repeated attempts to contact him.
Arsenal enter into a new era on Sunday afternoon when Unai Emery takes charge of his first competitive game as Gunners head coach.The Spaniard replaced long-serving manager Arsene Wenger at the end of last season after the Frenchman’s 22 years as Arsenal boss came to an end.Emery is supported by head of recruitment Sven Mislintat and head of football relations Raul Sanllehi, who make up the football operations structure, identifying and buying new players to improve a squad which finished in sixth place last season. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Man Utd ready to spend big on Sancho and Haaland in January Who is Marcus Thuram? Lilian’s son who is top of the Bundesliga with Borussia Monchengladbach Brazil, beware! Messi and Argentina out for revenge after Copa controversy Best player in MLS? Zlatan wasn’t even the best player in LA! With the likes of Bernd Leno and Lucas Torreira strengthening a side which previously looked weak in key positions, Emery will be hopeful that the new-look Arsenal squad are capable of providing an improved title challenge to the disappointing form of recent campaigns.But how will his team look for the majority of the new season?GoalkeepersThere was a clear need for Arsenal to bolster their goalkeeping department this summer with Petr Cech making a number of high-profile mistakes in the 2017-18 campaign. At 26 years old, the signing of Leno provides top quality competition for the ageing Cech in goal, while Emiliano Martinez’s return from a loan spell with Getafe means that he’ll almost certainly be third choice.David Ospina’s imminent move to Turkey will give hope to Martinez that he can eventually get promoted to back-up shot stopper, but it looks likely that Cech and Leno will fight it out for the starting berth this season.DefendersArsenal’s away form equalled relegated West Brom last season and they failed to pick up a win on the road in 2018 until the last game of the season.Defensive errors will need to be cut out if they want to challenge at the top this season, with Sokratis Papastathopoulos being brought in to solidify a leaky back four.Konstantinos Mavropanos and Rob Holding make up the reserve centre backs while Laurent Koscielny is still on the road to recovery from his Achilles injury.The decision to send Calum Chambers on loan to Fulham for the rest of the season surprised many Arsenal supporters following the England man’s impressive pre-season form, and it is crucial that the Gunners do not suffer injuries at the back if they are to avoid being caught short.MidfieldersThe addition of Lucas Torreira in defensive midfield is exactly what the doctor ordered for Arsenal, while youngster Matteo Guendouzi looks equally at home spraying passes around and making runs from central positions.Aaron Ramsey will be a vital figure, even if he’s yet to sign a contract extension with the club, and Mohamed Elneny and Ainsley Maitland-Niles will act as ideal reserve midfielders for when Emery needs to rotate his players.Emery’s side look short of wingers, although Joel Campbell could be a surprise player to feature despite being linked with a move away from north London throughout the summer.AttackersArguably Arsenal’s strongest position on the pitch. Mesut Ozil now has the No.10 shirt and will look to deliver his best season as a Gunner, with Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Alex Iwobi making up the exciting options behind the forward players.Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette will be the first choice strikers, while Danny Welbeck, Eddie Nketiah and Reiss Nelson are potential reserve options and will look to impress when called upon.ManagerEmery’s first season in English football will be a huge test. He has had a successful pre-season, with the Arsenal squad enjoying the intensity of his training sessions and enthusiasm of the new Spanish coaching staff.The precision and detail behind Emery’s match preparation will be seen as a breath of fresh air by many at the club, but it remains to be seen whether Arsenal have a squad with enough depth to challenge the likes of Manchester City at the top.Opening games against City and Chelsea will provide a perfect test for Emery and his team who will be desperate to improve on last season’s sixth-place finish.How Arsenal could line up Check out Goal’s Premier League 2019-20 fantasy football podcast for game tips, debate and rivalries.
BZ Media, the Melville, New York-based entrepreneurial B2B publisher, has sold its flagship print brand, Software Development Times, and is in the process of selling off other assets—essentially winding down the company’s existence and divesting it brand by brand.The company, co-founded by current CEO Ted Bahr in 1999, sold its two-year-old drone-industry tradeshow to Emerald Expositions in March, but it will manage the 2017 event in September.Ted BahrIn an excerpt from a companywide memo written by Bahr that was posted on the company’s website, he wrote, “It’s been a terrific 17 years and we survived the Tech Downtown of 2001 and the Great Recession of 2008.”“It was—and will be for a while longer—a good place to work. It’s been a great ride and while it will be ending, you will all be well-equipped for your next great adventure,” Bahr added. Perhaps it’s only the end of one B2B media company, an individual decision by an individual owner looking to convert equity to wealth. Or perhaps it’s an indication that the old days of B2B media are over — a once-relatively straightforward business transformed beyond recognition by new technologies and different approaches. What’s certain, though, is that Bahr and his co-founder, Alan Zeichick (who left the company in 2013), were among the higher-profile examples of entrepreneurial B2B practitioners — learning their craft at big companies and striking out successfully on their own.In conversations I had with Bahr even in very recent years, he remained a proponent of print media and SD Times, calling himself the “Last Samauri.”“We have successfully produced a print publication — our flagship, SD Times — many years after all of our competitors have folded,” Bahr said in the memo, which in several parts sounded like a valedictory. “The company has hired and nurtured nearly 100 people over the years, providing jobs and new skills while generating more than $30 million in incomes. BZ Media paid nearly $2 million in healthcare premiums and more than $2.5 million in payroll and social security taxes — all of this came from nothing.”Software Development Times and related digital properties were sold to D2 Emerge, a new company formed by two BZ Media veterans. The principals are David Lyman, former vice president of sales for BZ Media, who is now the CEO of D2 Emerge, and Dave Rubinstein, former editorial director of BZ Media, who takes over as executive vice president.“I am thrilled that SD Times has been bought by the team most responsible for making the publication what it is,” Bahr says. “ This is a win-win for everyone involved as most of the staff is able to go with the publication and digital assets and focus on and grow them.”Divesting a traditional media brand is a hit-or-miss proposition these days. It’s telling that BZ Media is being divested in parts, and that the acquirers are senior managers from the flagship BZ Media brand. But Bahr is nevertheless bullish. “For years I had been told by my peers in the industry that my print magazine, SD Times, would be valued at zero by potential buyers,” he says in a press release issued by the deal broker, Corporate Solutions LLC’s Nick Curci. “Boy, were they wrong. We conducted an auction with 36 interested parties and four strong bids. We accepted the highest bid.”“We are excited to be taking over the strong SD Times title and brand, and look forward to maintaining the magazine’s leading position in the software development sector while growing our subscriber base and expanding our print and digital footprint,” says Lyman, who will also retain his position as publisher of the magazine.“As we’ve been publishing SD Times for such a long time, we understand the market and the needs of our readers and advertisers,” says Rubinstein, who will serve as COO and editor-in-chief of SD Times. “Our mission remains to provide articles that give our readers the information they need to keep up with the fast-changing development landscape, and to give our advertisers multiple platforms to put their messages out to our readers.”
Mahbubul Haque BhuiyanComilla University teacher Mahbubul Haque Bhuiyan has served a legal notice to the university authorities seeking withdrawal of his “forced leave”.The acting head of the journalism department of the university was given “forced leave” for a month for allegedly taking classes on National Mourning Day on 15 August.The legal notice was sent to the vice-chancellor and the registrar through fax and mail on Sunday, said Mahbubul’s lawyer Jyotirmoy Barua.The university officials were asked to reply in the next 12 hours, he added.The lawyer told Prothom Alo that the university authorities did not serve any show-cause notice prior to forcing him to go on leave.“There is no provision in the university act to send someone on leave in such a fashion,” he added.The lawyer said the university faculty will take legal action if the VC and the register fail to reply in the stipulated time.
The hearse leaves San Nicola Vescovo church after the funeral service for Alessandro Giancaterino on 24 January, 2017 in Farindola. Photo: AFPThe death toll from an avalanche that swamped an Italian mountain hotel rose to 15 Tuesday, with 14 still missing, as a nearby helicopter crash left six people dead and dealt another blow to a region reeling from earthquakes and the heaviest snowfall in decades.The emergency response helicopter came down in thick fog near Campo Felice, a popular ski resort 120 kilometres (75 miles) east of Rome, during the evacuation of an injured skier.There were reports of a loud explosion being heard.“Rescue teams have reached the wreck of the helicopter and they found the bodies of the six deceased in the snow,” a police spokesman told AFP.Campo Felice, located at 710 metres (2,330 feet) altitude but with pistes up to just over 2,000 metres, is close to the epicentres of earthquakes that struck the region last Wednesday and were followed by the killer avalanche.Police said there was no apparent link between the crash and the seismic activity or the avalanche.But it came as firefighters and mountain police grappled with their aftermath.A team of first responders who had been helping the rescue effort at the Hotel Rigopiano was dispatched to the helicopter crash site but would not have been able to get there before news of the deaths came.The tally of bodies found in the ruins of the Rigopiano rose to 15 on the sixth day of an increasingly forlorn search through the snow-covered wreckage.Eleven staff and guests survived the disaster, two men who we outside when the avalanche struck and nine people, including four children, who were found on Friday.Rescuers have refused to give up hope of finding more people alive with morale amongst the exhausted rescuers having been boosted on Monday when three puppies were retrieved alive from under the rubble.Italian authorities are investigating the chain of events leading to the avalanche to see if the tragedy could or should have been avoided.A preliminary manslaughter investigation has been opened with the prosecutor in charge looking into whether environmental risks were properly taken into account during the construction and subsequent renovation of the hotel.Events on the day of the disaster itself, when guests were unable to leave because of snow-blocked access roads, are also in the spotlight.Tunnelling into wreckage -The local council had only one functioning road-clearance vehicle and had deployed it to reach isolated hamlets with elderly residents rather than clearing the road to the hotel.A second snow plough had broken down earlier in the month and staff were awaiting authorisation to get a 25,000-euro ($26,800) repair done.The hotel, a four-star spa facility where George Clooney once stayed, was built into a hillside at 1,200 metres altitude on the eastern slopes of Monte Gran Sasso. Campo Felice is on the other side of the near 3,000-metre peak that dominates the region.The survivors pulled from the ruins on Friday were all treated for mild hypothermia, suggesting anyone still alive nearly four days later would have had to have found some way of keeping warm.Rescuers have not ruled that out because they believe some rooms they are trying to reach by tunnelling through thick stone walls may be almost intact.New routes have been dug into the rubble but progress remained painfully slow with the first responders often digging with their bare hands because of fears of masonry or snow slides.The avalanche occurred three hours after the last of four magnitude five earthquakes shook the region in the space of four hours.Police have calculated the force of the impact on the three-storey stone and wood structure as being equivalent to it being hit by 4,000 fully-loaded trucks.The first funerals for the victims were held Tuesday.
January 5, 2018 2 min read Free Webinar | Sept 5: Tips and Tools for Making Progress Toward Important Goals Toyota Research Institute on Thursday unveiled its next-generation automated driving research vehicle, dubbed Platform 3.0.Built on a Lexus LS 600hL, “Platform 3.0 has a sensor-rich package that makes it one of the most perceptive automated driving test cars on the road,” TRI wrote in a news release. TRI plans to show off this new research vehicle at CES in Las Vegas next week.The company, formed in 2015 to focus on the research and development of artificial intelligence robotics, says Platform 3.0’s LIDAR system, which previously only tracked the forward direction, now covers the vehicle’s complete 360-degree perimeter. The four high-resolution LIDAR scanning heads can “precisely detect objects in the environment including notoriously difficult-to-see dark objects,” TRI wrote. The vehicle also has shorter-range LIDAR sensors on all four sides that can “detect low-level and smaller objects near the car like children and debris in the roadway.”TRI is also touting the sleek design of its vehicle. All the sensors and cameras are small and part of the vehicle’s design, unlike other autonomous test vehicles, which sometimes have a large “spinning bucket” LIDAR sensor mounted on the roof and other equipment bolted on.Production of Platform 3.0 vehicles will kick off this spring at Toyota Motor North America’s Prototype Development Center in York Township, Mich. The vehicles will be produced in from stock Lexus LS models.”Production volume is intentionally low to allow for continued flexibility given the quickness with which TRI has progressed in updating its test platform,” the company wrote. “There have been three major updates, including two new generation test models, in less than a year, and TRI anticipates continued rapid developments.”Meanwhile, TRI isn’t the only company planning to show off automated driving technologies at CES. Lyft, in partnership with autonomous driving technology company Aptiv (formerly known as Delphi Automotive), plans to offer rides in self-driving cabs during the annual tech convention. Register Now » Attend this free webinar and learn how you can maximize efficiency while getting the most critical things done right. This story originally appeared on PCMag