Convicted fraudster jailed for 30 years for raping woman

first_imgAn eloquent convicted fraudster, Troy Webster, was on Wednesday afternoon handed a prison sentence of 30 years by Sexual Offences Court Judge Jo-Ann Barlow after a majority jury found him guilty of sexually penetrating a woman without her consent. The jury produced the 11-1 verdict after a few hours of deliberation.The rape survivor was 25 years old at the time of the attack, which was said to have occurred on November 21, 2015 at a community in the county of Demerara.The prosecution contended that Webster had also tricked the woman into giving him money in addition to raping her. The offender, who was convicted multiple times for conning several women in the past, had pleaded not guilty when his matter came up for trial earlier this month. He was represented by Attorney Clyde Forde while Attorneys Seeta Bishundial, Tiffini Lyken and Abigail Gibbs prosecutedGuilty: Troy Websterthe case.Although he had already been committed to serve a prison sentence for a similar offence four years prior, the now convicted rapist was jailed for nine years by Magistrate Judy Latchman in August 2017 after he pleaded guilty with explanation to six charges. He had admitted that between August 17 and 21, 2017, at Georgetown and with intent to defraud, he obtained from six women (names withheld) $7000 each, pretending to be in a position to offer each of them a job.It was revealed that he would pose as a businessman seeking females to work either in the Parika, East Bank Essequibo (EBE) area or on the East Coast of Demerara (ECD). He would request a sum of $7000 along with a copy of their identification card, but would vanish after informing them that he would make contact with them to commence work.In May 2013, he was jailed for three years after defrauding seven young women (names withheld) of their valuables. He similarly collected $7500 of a down payment from six of them for uniforms for employment. In that case, he had also been charged with fraudulent conversion, whereby he had taken a pair of gold earrings from one of his victims, claiming that this was for her employment. The majority of criminal cases concern sexual offences.last_img read more


first_imgToye: Awesome todayCATHAL MacSUIBNE’S GAA BLOG: An emphatic Donegal put Laois to the sword this afternoon and in the process made it very clear that they intend to keep their stay in Division Two to one season. Despite the hosts looking clueless at times and unwilling to work as hard as their opponents, this was still a mightily impressive display from Jim McGuinness’ charges.Particular pleasing was how they kept their foot on the throttle long after the result and the two league points had been secured. The game was effectively over just after the restart, thanks to Colm McFadden’s goal, but he and his team mates posted 0-13 in the remainder of the match.The hosts started reasonably well and indeed may have come into this encounter thinking that there was a chance of an upset given that they frustrated Donegal for long periods the last time the sides met, in Carrick-on-Shannon last July. That was under previous manager Justin McNulty and while his spell wouldn’t be termed a success amongst the Laois faithful, he did make his team hard to beat. Now Tomas O’Flaharta has taken the reins with a stated mandate to bring positive football back to the O’Moore County – he has his work cut out going on today’s evidence. His team disappointed both from attacking and defensive perspectives; on numerous occasions in the opening period, Donegal created overlaps and were presented with four-on-three and five-on-three situations as the home defence looked a mess.Odhran MacNiallais’ goal came from one such opportunity with Anthony Thompson making the incisive run from defence and after neat passing the Gaoth Dobhair man was on hand to palm the ball to the net. Even at that stage, the writing was on the wall for Laois.Thompson was joined in many a raid forward by Neil McGee and Karl Lacey – both were operating in the full back line but bombed forward at will. Laois’ inability to cover the piercing runs from deep proved to be their downfall. It may be an unglamorous brief for a forward to track attacking forays from their markers but in the modern game it’s a must. With the runs not covered it led to some easy scoring chances for Donegal – almost all of their first half scores were from simple chances inside the 21-yard line.The exceptions came from the right boot of Michael Murphy; firstly he nailed a 45′ into the teeth of the wind and moments later he stroked over an absolutely majestic point. With Murphy having to stoop to collect an ever so slightly under hit pass, Frank McGlynn made a run off the shoulder for his captain – it seemed easier to offload to the marauding wing-back but instead Michael dummied to handpass and with his marker, along with everyone else in O’Moore Park, buying the dummy he split the posts from forty yards. He repeated the dummy trick late in the game to nonchalantly register his second score from play (and sixth in total), this time off his left peg. Christy Toye came into the starting line-up before the throw-in in place of the hamstrung Darach O’Connor and he had a fine game operating at centre forward. He’s still as good as any at picking a pass and he distributed wonderfully throughout his time on the field, which was cut short after suffering a nasty gash to his face.Another who has had his share of injury trouble is Mark McHugh but he looked back to his best today, covering the ground like only he can. He was in the thick of things at both ends of the field and got his name on the score sheet in the closing procession. He also shipped a ferocious hit after a frontal charge in the incident that led to Laois’ Denis Booth being shown a red card. Despite the lead being enjoyed by Donegal at the time, his team-mates were incensed at the challenge and weren’t slow in making their feelings known to Booth and his counterparts.The younger McHugh, Ryan, played at corner back and acquitted himself well and it is an area that the team could do with some competition for places. Paddy McGrath is still a number of weeks away from seeing some action so its likely we’ll see some more experimenting in the 2 and 4 jerseys in the next few games.Debutant Hughie McFadden certainly put his hand up for some more game-time, scoring a brace of points after joining the action in the second half. McFadden was one of the stars of last year’s county championship, playing an integral role in Kilybegs’ march to the final. He can operate around midfield or on the edge of the square so it will be interesting to see how he develops in a senior jersey over the coming months.Having two away fixtures to start with, Donegal knew a win or two from those would put them in pole position for promotion. They made a big statement today and the other teams won’t relish taking on the McGuinness juggernaut when it’s in this kind of form. Galway are next up in Salthill next weekend and after their defeat to Meath today they wont be looking forward to seeing another team in green and gold. CATHAL’S GAA BLOG: LAOIS NO MATCH FOR RUTHLESS DONEGAL was last modified: February 2nd, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:CATHAL MAC SUIBHNE’S DONEGAL GAA BLOGChristy ToyedonegalLaoislast_img read more