“The court of Additional Sessions Judge M.A. Khan acquitted both the accused of all the charges as the prosecution could not establish any of the charges levelled against them,” advocate M.S. Khan said over phone.Mr. Wani, who was arrested by the Delhi Police in 2001 allegedly with explosives and incriminating material, is a resident of Peeparkari area of Srinagar and is currently lodged in a Lucknow jail.The blast was carried out on Independence Day eve when the train was on its way from Muzaffarpur to Ahmedabad. Nine people were killed in the blast. SC pulls up trial court in Sabarmati train blasts case Former Aligarh Muslim University scholar Gulzar Ahmed Wani was on Saturday acquitted by a Barabanki court of the charge of orchestrating a blast in Sabarmati Express in 2000.According to the counsel for the accused, the court freed Mr. Wani and co-accused Mobin due to lack of evidence.Also Read
zoomImage Courtesy: Intermarine Ocean transportation and marine logistics services provider Intermarine and its affiliates, Industrial Maritime Carriers (IMC) and Industrial Terminals, Management, have transferred the leasehold ownership of their terminal assets to Watco Companies.As informed, the parties have entered into a long-term agreement “for continued and future use” of Industrial Terminals, a project cargo port.Intermarine inked the deal with Watco for the provision of stevedoring and terminal services as Industrial Terminals is directly adjacent to Watco’s Greens Port terminal on the Houston Ship Channel. Under the deal, Intermarine staff will remain located at Industrial Terminals.Combined, the two properties are comprised of 746 acres, seven berths and more than 5,000 feet of dock space.“Our ocean carriage business has evolved with the changes in the market and the transaction with Watco will allow us to seamlessly and efficiently continue operations at Industrial Terminals, while focusing on our core liner and worldwide chartering services,” Michael Dumas, President of Maritime Holdings and CFO of Intermarine, said.“We are very excited to add the Industrial Terminals assets to the Greens Port Industrial Park and enter into a long term agreement with IMC. The combined assets will allow us to expand the service offerings,” Bill Kinzeler, Vice President of Network Strategy for Watco Terminal and Port Services, commented.
School bus crash in University City sends students to hospital KUSI Newsroom KUSI Newsroom, December 19, 2018 Posted: December 19, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News, Traffic & Accidents FacebookTwitter SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – More than three dozen high school students were taken to a hospital for precautionary evaluations Wednesday after a car rear-ended their school bus in the University City area while they were on their way to classes, authorities reported.An Infiniti sedan struck the school vehicle shortly before 8:30 a.m. on Genesee Avenue, just north of state Route 52, according to the California Highway Patrol.No serious injuries were reported, but medics took all 38 University City High School students who had been riding in the bus to a hospital to be checked out.San Diego Unified School District said that all students were examined by medical staff and were released to their parents, with no serious injuries reported.It was unclear if the driver of the sedan suffered any injuries in the crash.The CHP shut down the on-ramp from westbound SR-52 to northbound Genesee Avenue during the crash investigation and cleanup.
Furthermore, Meredith chairman and CEO Stephen Lacy, who would lead the proposed new entity created under a Media General/Meredith merger, reiterates that the company’s board of directors still believes the agreed-upon merger agreement with Media General is in the best interest of Meredith and its shareholders. Even as negotiations with Nexstar begin, Media General’s board of directors continues to recommend following through with the Meredith acquisition under the terms established in September. Media General first announced an agreement to buy Meredith for $2.4 billion in September. Weeks later, Nexstar submitted an unsolicitied proposal to buy Media General, a deal that, if made, would jeopardize the yet-to-be completed Meredith takeover, an acquisition Nexstar described as “ill-conceived.” Media General’s board of directors reached two unanimous decisions, according to a company statement. The first was to formally reject Nexstar’s initial, $4.1 billion proposal, saying that it “significantly undervalues” the company. The second was to enter negotiations with Nexstar over the suitor’s non-binding, unsolicited proposal. Media General was granted a waiver by Meredith to pass on non-public information to Nexstar in evaluation of the deal, which Nexstar claimed would offer Media General greater value, both immediately and long-term. The cloud of uncertainty cast over Media General’s proposed purchase of Meredith Corp. grew a shade darker Monday, as Media General announced that it will officially open negotiations with its own proposed buyer, Nexstar Broadcasting Group. “We are surprised that Media General’s Board considers the value of our proposal to be inadequate today,” said Perry Sook, chairman, president and CEO of Nexstar, in a statement. “However, we are willing to engage with them to hear their perspectives.” Meredith released a statement of its own in response to the announcement, saying, “Meredith understands Media General Board’s fiduciary responsibility to respond to the Nexstar proposal consistent with our binding merger agreement announced on September 8, 2015. However, Meredith still remains confident that the combination of Meredith and Media General will generate superior shareholder value … as compared to a potential Nexstar transaction.”
Nandan NilekaniReutersAfter staying away from Infosys for over eight years, co-founder Nandan Nilekani on Thursday was appointed non-executive chairman of the company.Speaking on an investors’ call on Friday morning, Nilekani said: “I plan to be here as long as necessary and I will not be here as soon as as I’m not necessary.”Joined @Infosys at 26, re-joined it at 62. Life does turn full circle!— Nandan Nilekani (@NandanNilekani) August 25, 2017Soon after Nilekani took the charge on Friday morning, a rejig in the company board started with co-chairman R Seshasayee and former CEO Vishal Sikka, along with independent board members Jeffrey Lehman and John Etchemendy.Another co-founder, Ravi Venkatesan, also stepped down from the company board, but would continue in the board as independent director.After Sikka resigned as the CEO and managing director of Infosys on August 18, he was appointed as the executive vice-chairman of the tech giant.With Nilekani at the helm of India’s second-largest software exporter and re-constitution of the board, it’s likely the very long tussle between another co-founder Murthy and the Infosys board over corporate governance will come to an end.A statement released by the Bangalore-based IT major quoted Nilekani as saying that the board would engage with shareholders on priority basis as part of its engagement with stakeholders.Key highlights of the investor call* Infosys will announce some quick decision in next few days.* Nilekani’s main focus will be to search for a new CEO.* Nilekani said the CEO search will be global, open to external candidates, within the current management and at the Infosys Alumni.* Reconstituting the board and re-stabilising Infosys’ business are the priority.Infosys board after re-constitution* Pravin Rao, Interim CEO and MD* Nandan Nilekani, Non-Executive Chairman* Roopa Kudva, Independent Director* Punita Kumar, Independent Director* Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, Independent Director* DN Prahlad, Independent Director* D Sundaram, Independent Director* Ravi Venkatesan, Independent Director Infosys Chief Executive Vishal Sikka attends a news conference in Mumbai, India, February 13, 2017. REUTERS/Danish Siddiqui/File PhotoReutersEarlier on Thursday, Domestic Institutional Investors (DIIs) wrote a letter to the Infosys board to bring back former co-founder Nandan Nilekani.The letter, signed by 12 investors from mutual fund houses and insurance companies, said Nilekani would be the right person to facilitate “resolution” of the ongoing issues between the board and the management.”In our opinion, he enjoys the confidence of various stakeholders viz, customers, shareholders and employees,” the letter stated.The ugly spat between Murthy and the company board, which resulted in the exit of Sikka, eroded over Rs 32,000 crore of the company’s market capitalisations.