Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh has appreciated the Centre’s decision to accept the State’s plea for the release of prisoners convicted under the Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act (TADA) who had completed their sentence and whose release was not perceived to be prejudicial to the peace and security of Punjab or the country. In a letter dated September 14, the Chief Minister urged Union Home Minister Amit Shah to accept the State government’s formal proposal as a “goodwill gesture” on humanitarian grounds on the occasion.Eight Sikh prisoners, lodged in different jails in the country for committing crimes during the militancy phase in Punjab, will be released by the government on the occasion of the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev in November. Besides, through a special remission, the death sentence of another Sikh prisoner has been commuted to life imprisonment.Shiromani Akali Dal president Sukhbir Singh Badal said the government’s gesture was a fitting tribute to the atmosphere of religious zeal and harmony generated by celebrations of the birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev.“We are very sure that this is just the starting point of the process to the review and release of all Sikh prisoners who had either served their full term or had been forced into unlawfulness under extenuating religious and emotional circumstances,” Mr. Badal said.
MOST READ The Oklahoma City Thunder center, who had voiced support for Muslim cleric Fethulla Gulen in Twitter postings after an attempted putsch last July aimed at ousting Erdogan, said thousands in Turkey could face similar fates for their support of the Gulen-inspired Hizmet, which he calls a social initiative advocating for human rights.Turkey, meanwhile, accuses US-based Gulen of ordering the failed coup and refers to the movement as the “Fethulla Terrorist Organization”.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutKanter’s family has publicly denounced the player’s support of Gulen.The pro-government Anadolu news agency reported Friday that Mehmet Kanter had been placed in protective custody in connection with an inquiry targeting Gulen. Every 18 seconds someone is diagnosed with HIV LATEST STORIES Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games View comments Cayetano dares Lacson, Drilon to take lie-detector test: Wala akong kinita sa SEA Games Pagasa: Storm intensifies as it nears PAR Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. NEW YORK, NY – MAY 22: Turkish NBA Player Enes Kanter speaks to media during a news conference about his detention at a Romanian airport on May 22, 2017 in New York City. Kanter returned to the U.S. after being detained for several hours at a Romanian airport following statements he made criticizing Turkey’s president Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Eduardo Munoz Alvarez/Getty Images/AFPTurkish NBA player Enes Kanter, an outspoken critic of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, said Friday his father had been arrested in Istanbul and could face torture.“My father is arrested because of my outspoken criticism of the ruling party,” Kanter wrote on his website. “He may get tortured for simply being my family member.”ADVERTISEMENT BREAKING: Cop killed, 11 hurt in Misamis Oriental grenade blast The arrest came a week after a warrant was issued for Enes Kanter, whose passport has been cancelled by Turkish authorities.Kanter, who has compared Erdogan to Adolf Hitler, was briefly detained in Romania on May 20 but returned to the United States with his green card, telling reporters he wanted to seek American citizenship.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Stosur urges Court to stop comments about same-sex marriage Palace: Duterte to hear out security execs on alleged China control of NGCP BREAKING: Cop killed, 11 hurt in Misamis Oriental grenade blast Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ BSP survey: PH banks see bright horizon amid dark global recession clouds
Even as the last rites of Varsha Bhosle, daughter of playback singer Asha Bhosle, were performed Tuesday, police remained clueless about the reasons behind her suicide.Police officers investigating the case said they would record statements of Asha, who might be able to reveal the reason behind her 56-year-old daughter’s suicide.A police official said they had recorded statements of Asha’s sister Usha Mangeshkar, maid Dipali Mane and driver Vijay.”Close family members have not been questioned yet since they are still in a state of shock,” the police official said.The officer said police would soon record the statements of Asha, her elder sister and legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar and Varsha’s former husband Hemant Kenkre.Police officials, however, said the Belgian pistol, with which Varsha allegedly killed herself, was registered in the name of Anand, Asha’s youngest son and it was kept safely in the house.Varsha was Monday found dead with two bullet injuries in her head.She was the second of the three children of Asha and Ganpatrao Bhosle and stayed mostly with her mother in the posh Prabhu Kunj building in Mumbai.Police suspect that she committed suicide Sunday night, but also said that the neighbours did not hear any gunshot.Varsha’s viscera sample has been sent for test.Police sources said the woman’s post-mortem report confirmed she died of haemorrhagic shock due to bullet injuries.Three loaded cartridges were found in the pistol.Varsha, who used to work as a freelance journalist, was divorced from sports journalist Hemant Kenkre.She wrote columns for web portal Rediff.com, The Sunday Observer and the Gentleman magazine, among other freelancing projects.She had also sung songs for some Hindi and Marathi films and performed in some concerts with her mother.She was depressed for many years and had tried to commit suicide in 2008 and 2010 by consuming sleeping pills. advertisement
Awami League general secretary and road transport and bridges minister Obaidul Quader. File PhotoThe Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump (IABP) machine, which was set up in the heart of ailing road transport minister and bridges minister Obaidul Quader, was removed on Thursday morning as his condition is improving gradually, reports news agency UNB.“His heart is working fine without any artificial support,” Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU) director Abu Naser Rizvi, who was accompanying the minister, informed media referring to the statement of cardiologist Philip Koh of Mount Elizabeth Hospital at noon.The kidneys of the minister have been functioning better than before and the quantity of sedative has also been reduced, said Rizvi.”The minister is also responding to doctors’ call,” he added.He further said many of his infections are under control.His wife Isratunnesa Quader and Md Mustafizur Rahman, Bangladesh High Commissioner in Singapore were also present at the briefing.Quader, also general secretary to ruling Bangladesh Awami League (AL), was flown to Singapore on Monday for better treatment as per advice of renowned Indian cardiologist Devi Shetty.The minister was admitted to the BSMMU on Sunday morning following breathing complications. Later, physicians conducted an angiogram and found three blockages in his coronary arteries.
Free Webinar | Sept. 9: The Entrepreneur’s Playbook for Going Global 2 min read Growing a business sometimes requires thinking outside the box. Putting your office chair in its place is such hard work. You have to push the thing where you want it to go, which involves actually touching it and, well, actually thinking a little.Who has time for that?Nissan knows you don’t and feels your Dilbert-like pain. That’s why the carmaker created a creeping fleet of self-parking office chairs to help we lazy worker schlumps deal. Too bad they’re just a concept for now.Related: Spooked by Self-Driving Cars? Get a Load of Daimler’s Awesome Autonomous Big Rig.The gimmicky “smart chairs,” technically called “Intelligent Parking Chairs,” per an announcement this week from Nissan, slowly slink to and fro (without working stiffs in them) using the nerdy tech wizardry of embedded sensors. The sensors communicate with a network of four cameras positioned throughout the room the 360-degree-turning chairs are in. They “generate a bird’s-eye view to wirelessly transmit the chair’s position and its route to destination.” Fancy.To send the wheeled robo-chairs packing — and neatly under desks, where they darn well should be after meetings and such — users simply clap their hands once. Raw power, right in the palm of your delicate white-collar hand.Related: Meet the $25 Standing Desk Made of Collapsible CardboardPretty neat stuff, we think. Also a little goofy to watch in action. Take a seat in your dumb chair and have a look to see what we mean.The semi-autonomous chairs were inspired by Nissan’s forthcoming “Intelligent Parking Assist,” a vehicle self-parking feature that the Japanese company recently showed off using a mobile app prototype and a LEAF electric car, minus a driver. It’s not clear if these sweet seats will ever be available for purchase, though we wouldn’t mind shelling out a bit to park ourselves in one — and to park one.We reached out to Nissan for more details, but have yet to hear back. In the meantime, we’ll be daydreaming about commanding a pack of ergonomically correct conference room chairs, one bossy clap at a time.Related: Sick of Sitting? Tired of Standing? Take a Load Off With This ‘Leaning’ Desk. Register Now » February 17, 2016
The A500 was closed for more than 90 minutes while the emergency services dealt with a multi-vehicle accident The D Road was closed northbound from the A50 (Sideway roundabout) to the A52 City Road (City Road Interchange, Stoke-on-Trent). Both lanes were closed to allow highways and the emergency services to deal with the incident, which happened at about 5.20pm. All lanes were reopened at 7pm. Follow StokeonTrentLive Download our app – You can download our free app for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store , or get the Android version from Google Play . Follow StokeonTrentLive on Facebook – Like our Facebook page to get the latest news in your feed and join in the lively discussions in the comments. Click here to give it a like! Follow us on Twitter – For breaking news and the latest stories, click here to follow SOTLive on Twitter . Follow us on Instagram – Featuring pictures past and present from across Stoke-on-Trent, North Staffordshire & South Cheshire – and if you tag us in your posts, we could repost your picture on our page! We also put the latest news in our Instagram Stories. Click here to follow StokeonTrentLive on Instagram . 19:00Updates from Highways West MidlandsAn update from Highways West Midlands: “ All lanes are now open on the A500 Northbound between the A5007 and the A5006.”18:32The A500 has been closed after a multi-vehicle accident#Staffordshire The #A500 (#Queensway) in #Stoke is closed northbound between the #A5007 and the #A5006, near to the train station and the university, while the emergency services deal with a collision. Click here for more details: https://t.co/Pv8hRRWyuQ @StaffsPolice pic.twitter.com/CBG73kqgin— Highways England (@HighwaysWMIDS) May 18, 2019