EDMONTON – The Alberta government will not appeal a ruling that struck down part of its impaired driving legislation allowing police to suspend the licences of suspected drunk drivers.Justice Minister Kathleen Ganley says the government will instead bring forward new legislation after talking to interested parties.The Alberta Court of Appeal ruled in May that taking away the licences of drivers who have not yet been found guilty in court violates their charter rights and presumption of innocence.An appeal by four individuals had noted that drivers waiting to be tried on impaired charges have had to do without a licence for many months because of a backlog in the courts.“The defendants in the case argued that suspending their licences until the case gets resolved results in innocent people pleading guilty just to get their licence back,” Ganley said Wednesday.“The court decision stated that drivers may be induced to surrender their constitutional right to the presumption of innocence. Our government has decided we will not be appealing this decision.”She said the province will look at models already in place in other provinces such as British Columbia and Saskatchewan.“We are still looking at administrative sanction models because I think the evidence is very good that those are the best at improving traffic safety and preventing collisions and deaths.”The Appeal Court ruling put everything on hold for a year, so police officers are still able to suspend licences until next May.The British Columbia government also faced a challenge to its drunk-driving law after it was brought in. It imposes heavy fines, penalties and immediate roadside suspensions.But the Supreme Court of Canada handed down a pair of judgments in October 2015 that upheld key portions of the law.It ruled for one that the law as it stood in 2010 did not violate an individual’s charter right to the presumption of innocence. However, a majority of the court said the law violated the charter protection against unlawful search and seizure.By the time the Supreme Court made its ruling, B.C. had already amended its law to address that point by allowing drivers who failed a roadside breath test to ask for a second test and to apply for a review of their driving prohibition.Ganley said it made more sense to simply change Alberta’s legislation.“There were potential legal risks in terms of whether or not the model would be supported.” she said.“The Supreme Court has supported B.C.’s model which obviously doesn’t go quite as far and specifically doesn’t involve the suspension of the licence … pending trial.”The CEO of MADD Canada, an anti-drunk-driving group, said the Alberta government made the right decision.Andrew Murie pointed out other parts of the province’s legislation were upheld.He also said the province now has the chance to consider adopting the B.C. model.“Rather than punish you, they focus on rehabilitation. They impound your vehicle for 30 days … and you have to take a remedial program. You have to put an interlock on your car. Those are constant reminders of what you’ve done,” Murie said.“They’re immediate. They happen right away.”— By Bill Graveland in Calgary. Follow @BillGraveland on Twitter
Advertisement She can also be seen posing next to a smiling Atwood herself while wearing said costume.Marissa says that the author, who lives in their neighbourhood, was delighted to see young Madeleine at her door.“She was so nice, so welcoming,” said the mom in an interview. “She was excited to see the baby, and was friendly with the baby. She didn’t really comment on the costume itself.”I will now respectfully do it for her by saying “Praise be! May the Lord open! We’ve been sent good weather! That’s adorable… but also like, all kinds of messed up when you think about what a handmaid is.”Under his eye. Photo by Marissa Kassam LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Twitter Advertisement Advertisement Login/Register With: Iconic Canadian author Margaret Atwood — she who wrote the book that inspired the show that sparked the global phenomenon that is The Handmaid’s Tale — has blessed a local toddler with her approval of what might be the cutest costume this year.Blessed be the fruit of 33-year-old Marissa Kassam, whose young daughter Madeleine is dressing up as a Handmaid for Halloween.Madeleine Kassam is less than two years old but already boasts more than 600 followers on Instagram. Image via @munching_maddie.Based in Toronto, just like Atwood, the 18-month-old-toddler can be seen on Instagram in her own, tiny version of the uniform worn by handmaids in the fictional Gilead: A bright-red coat topped with a white bonnet and “wings.” Facebook
Four state-run Russian TV channels went black for around 117 million people at the end of last week, due to satellite problems, according to Russian news agency Ria Novost.Citing a statement by the country’s Ministry of Communications and Mass Media, the agency reported Russia’s European territories and the Urals were effected on Thursday.While broadcast of the country’s two most watched channels, Rossiya-1 and Channel One, were restored to 90% of viewers in the region within an hour, outages on the Culture Channel and Fifth Channel, as well as for regional broadcasts, persisted into the weekend.The ministry said that 98% of the affected population would have full access restored within 10 days, though 2% could wait up to three months for antennas to be readjusted. Faulty orientation of the the Express-MD1 satellite was blamed for the issues, with reserve satellites due to be used to fix the problem.
Danish broadcast production start up NIMB TV has launched what it claims to be the country’s first UltraHD mobile unit.The compact three-wheel scooter van can be used for live broadcast productions and big screen events and is equipped for multi camera 4K production.Softron’s OnTheAir Video Express powers 4K playout from the unit, which was designed specifically for news production and live shows.
The HDMI Forum has released version 2.1 of the HDMI specification, which includes support for video resolutions of up to 10K and dynamic HDR formats.The Forum described the update as a “huge leap forward”, with the new specification supporting higher video resolutions and refresh rates including 8K 60Hz and 4K 120Hz, for “immersive viewing and smooth fast-action detail”.Dynamic high dynamic range (HDR) is designed to let every moment of a video be displayed at its ideal values for depth, detail, brightness, contrast and wider colour gamuts – on a scene-by-scene or frame-by-frame basis.Bandwidth capability has also been increased to 48Gbps, supported by a new Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable that can deliver uncompressed 8K video with HDR and has low electro-magnetic interference.“The HDMI Forum’s mission is to develop specifications meeting market needs, growing demands for higher performance, and to enable future product opportunities,” said Sony Electronics executive and president of the HDMI Forum, Robert Blanchard.Also included in HDMI 2.1 are enhanced refresh-rate features, designed to ensure an added level of smooth and seamless motion and transitions for gaming, movies and video.Resolutions of up to 10K are supported for commercial AV and for industrial and specialty uses.HDMI is backward compatible with earlier versions of the specification, and was developed by the HDMI Forum’s Technical Working Group.The HDMI 2.1 Compliance Test Specification will be published in stages during Q1-Q3 2018, and HDMI adopters will be notified when it is available.
Bert Habets and Cecile Frot-CoutazFremantleMedia CEO Cecile Frot-Coutaz is leaving the RTL Group-owned production and distribution giant to lead YouTube EMEA.Her exit comes after 23 years at Fremantle and its predecessors, and a process is already underway to find a successor.Frot-Coutaz (above right) is understood to have a twelve-month notice period, but is unlikely to work all of that. RTL said its executive committee was in “constructive talks” with her about “a smooth transition at the helm of the group’s global content arm”.RTL CEO Bert Habets (above left) credited Frot-Coutaz for putting “creativity back in the centre of the company” since her reign began in 2012, when she succeeded Tony Cohen.“With its expanding slate of high-end drama series and iconic entertainment shows, FremantleMedia is strongly positioned to grow significantly in the future,” he added. “I regret, but understand Cécile’s decision. All of us wish her the best in her future endeavours.”Frot-Coutaz’s appointment at YouTube will likely be confirmed officially today. At the Google-owned business, she will work closely with YouTube chief business officer Robert Kyncl on growth strategies in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.“I’ve always said that two things would need to be the case for me to consider leaving,” she told Fremantle staff in an internal memo seen by TBI. “First, and most importantly, Fremantle would need to be firing on all cylinders – brimming with creative excellence and unstoppable momentum. Second, it would take a unique challenge that offers me something completely new and different.”“Both of those conditions have been met, and it is therefore with a heavy heart but unshakeable confidence in the future that I have decided to leave Fremantle and open a new chapter in my professional life.”She added that she would not be exiting until a successor was picked, and said: “I go on to explore new challenges safe in the knowledge that Fremantle’s best days lie ahead.”French-born Frot-Coutaz’s relationship with Fremantle goes back to 1994, when publishing company Pearson bought Grundy Television and established Pearson Television Group.At that point, she was named corporate strategy officer, and next shepherded the integration of All-American Fremantle into the Pearson TV.Later, after a spell working on online and interactive strategies, she joined the newly rebranded FremantleMedia in LA as executive VP of commercial and operations. By 2005, she had been appointed CEO and was then named as Cohen’s London-based successor for the wider group in 2012.Since then, she has focused on investments in new companies, and high-end scripted dramas to sit alongside reality format stalwarts such as The X Factor, Idol and Got Talent in the Fremantle stable.The company recently moved out of children’s TV production, selling the assets of its FremantleMedia Kids & Family unit to Boat Rocker Media.The news comes less than four months after Habets became RTL’s sole group CEO, with Guillaume de Posch stepping down. Anke Schäferkordt had left the other co-CEO spot twelve months ago.Those changes are separate, however, and sources have described Frot-Coutaz’s exit as “entirely amicable”.